iii.

After spending another night complaining to Dawn about how annoying some of her professors were, Cassie couldn't come up with anything new to say. She had talked about Bruce, Alfred, her secret birthplace in Japan, music and even about her heavy dependance on caffeine.

"I can sleep when I'm dead, I suppose." The girl had shrugged.

Though Dawn was getting better, she showed no signs of movement. Cassie had forced Hank to go back home for a while, after she was cleared by the doctors. There wasn't really much to take care off, considering Dawn lay still on the bed.

As a final resort, Cassie started talking out loud about her obsession with this visual novel mobile game called Mystic Messenger and how she never admitted to anyone that she loved it. The eighteen year old was in the middle of describing how beautiful Zen was when Hank walked in.

"You got any sleep last night?" He asked, pulling up a chair next to her.

Cassie shook her head, "To be honest, I couldn't sleep. So I read to her. Don't be shocked if she wakes up and tells you the intricate details and explanation behind the business deal between Wayne Enterprise and Queen Consolidated."

Hank rolled his eyes at her, trying and failing to smile. He looked worriedly at his girlfriend, agitated that she still hadn't woken up.

Cassie rested her head on his shoulder, "She'll wake up soon. I know she will. I told you right? I minimized her injuries as much as I could."

He put an arm around her, patting her in comfort before turning towards her, "Kid, you should head back."

"I don't really have anything to do - "

"No," Hank explained, "I meant wherever you were supposed to go this weekend. There's nothing you can do here."

"Hank - "

"Look, you said it yourself. She's gonna wake up. I'll keep you updated."

At the finality of his tone, Cassie bit her tongue, "Okay. If that's what you want."

Within the next hour, Cassie had bid farewell to Hank and Dawn, making the former promise that he'd call her everyday. Heart still heavy with the guilt from a few nights before, the teen drove out of the city and towards her next destination.

Her phone had rang when she was about to stop for the night. It was Jason.

"Hey," She pressed the button next to the volume dial by the radio, "What's up?"

"Meant to call you before but - uh," His cocky tone made her realize that he was smirking through the phone, "Couldn't help but enjoy the fact that you were in the hospital."

"Shut up."

"Where you headed?"

"Illinois. The safe house. I'm meeting a friend. You on a case?"

"Something like that."

"With Bruce?"

"Nah. Robin's flying solo this time."

"Must be something unimportant, then." Cassie scoffed, leaning back and placing her elbow over the rolled down car window.

"Fuck off." A pause. "You alright, though? Alfred said it was your ninja juice exhaustion."

Cassie sputted, "First off, don't call it that. It's chakra. And yeah, we were attacked. Should've listened to you and trained. I almost got my ass handed. That reminds me, I met Richard."