Chapter 1: The Move

It was a good life.
I had friends, family, and everything a teenager would need. Until the day we moved.

Hi, I'm Kate Katherine, I am seventeen years old and I am about to move to a new house and a new school in South Mississippi and I'm not ready.

I was new to the state of Mississippi. I always lived at the top of the border of Minnesota but mom and dad thought it was best to move.

It was crazy how much we left back in Minnesota and I knew I was about to miss it all.

Even after moving far, mom and dad still wanted me to go after my dream job of being an Author and since I was a junior in high school I really didn't know what I wanted really.

Even if it was a hard to get into and stick with being an Author through college I had an idea of what I wanted to be.

After a five plus hour car ride and many stops on the road, we made it to South Mississippi.

Once we got to the new house everything seemed to change in a way. I felt isolated I knew no one but my parents and back home I had tons of friends but now my only friends were my parents.

I stepped out of the car and smelled the old pine wood and humid air. Which was kinda refreshing in a way.

"Don't forget your things in the back" my mom screamed while bringing in boxes.

I knew I got distracted as I slowly stepped on the stone path that leads me to the new building I would call home.

A two-story brick house with a bright red door and a deck that wrapped around the house with three bedrooms and three baths.

"Kate Katherine!" yelled my mom. "Please hurry!" She said in a tired tone.

I knew I had to get my stuff but I was amazed at the new house. Our other one was only a one-story wooden log cabin that had two beds and one bath. It was a burden to share a bathroom with your parents especially when you had friends over.

I stepped back to the car and gathered my belongings .

I did not have much besides my iPhone, headphones, and a pillow and blanket. And whatever was in my suitcase from back home.

Mom and dad had already gotten their belongings and it was just me at the car.

After moments outside gathering my things, I made it to the big red door and opened it into my new home.

As I stepped in, the smell of the new house consumed me. It did not smell old or wooden like our last house but smelled fresh and contemporary.

I walked up the stone stairs and made my way down the hallway with my suitcase rolling behind me following me like a lost dog.

As I explored the house I finally found my bedroom and stood speechless in my new bedroom door frame.

My bedroom was bigger than my last one. I had a walk-in closet, flat TV, soft black rug flooring, grey walls, big open window, and a loft bed that rested above my desk.
It was the best bedroom I've ever had and it was all mine.
After examining the room and all it's glory I started to unpack.

As I was unpacking I still could not believe it.We just moved across the country because of...wait why did we move? Mom and dad really didn't explain, did they? Maybe it was nothing?

After clearing my head of why we moved I finally headed downstairs and left most of my clothes in the suitcase.

"Honey" my mom yelled as I was walking down the cold stone steps.

"Yes, Sweetie" yelled dad in the living room unpacking pictures taken back home.

"Have you seen the plates we packed?" Mom said calmly.

As I slowly walked into the kitchen I could smell the aroma of lasagna or freezer lasagna since we just moved in.

"Hey sweetie did you get unpacked?" mom said as I sat at the dining room table.

"Yeah I guess I still gotta get everything organized though" I said with a yawn.

"Oh don't worry dearer me and your father still have to unpack some" she said kindly.

Mom slowly sat down a plate in front of me and a glass of water- since that's all we had from just moving in.

Dad later joined us and gathered his piece of the lasagna and sat and talked until it was time for bed.

I walked back up to my room finished unpacking and went to the bathroom.

As I turned on the shower and undressed I still could not understand why we moved?

We were happy, right?

As I stepped in the shower lost in the reflection of the past life we left, something sparkled and hit my eye. As I looked it was a key stuck in the drain. It was just lying there untouched and still getting wet from the water.

I slowly kneeled down and picked it up examining it. "Maybe it was to another door in the house or a drawer in the bathroom?" I swiftly washed my hair and washed the cracks and crevasses of my body.

I turned off the shower with all my focus on the key I had found. I slowly put it down and dried it off.

I brushed my teeth and put the towel around my body and picked up the key and walked to my room and sat the key down on the dresser next to my glowing moon by the door. I did not think much of it and got dressed.

After all, it was just some old key right?

I slowly got in bed, turned on the glowing moon I had plugged in across the dresser across the room, to light up the grey walls and slowly looked at the key on the dresser barely visibly from the glow. With one last thought come to mind before my eyes finally closed.

"It was just a stupid key"