Chapter 2

After a short car ride home while listening to music, I crawled into my empty house, the shadows on the walls dancing in the evening sun that was pouring in through the windows. I poured myself a bowl of cereal to serve as my dinner for the night and walked to my room to sleep. A simple flick of a switch and the lights were off, filling the room with strange shapes and shadows of my simple furniture.

I sat on my bed, my soft pajama pants giving me warmth while a two-sizes-too-big t-shirt provided me comfort. I pulled my blanket over me, taking one more look around my room before I laid down and allowed my head to hit my pillow.

As if it were automatic, my eyes shut and I felt as if I was falling, though I knew I was still in my bed. I had the feeling of being weightless, as if my body was floating through air. At first all I could see was darkness, but now my vision was filled with a bright scene. Cloud-like fog floated gracefully at my feet, and I realized I was standing in what appeared to be a large throne room of some sort.

"Amethyst Mitchell," a voice boomed as loud as thunder. I looked to see a man crowned in light. He was ten times the size of any normal man, and the throne in which he sat was gigantic. "The time has finally come. Your hour is upon us," he stated in a proud tone.

"I'm terribly sorry sir, but... exactly who are you? How do you know my name? Where am I? Is this a dream?" The questions poured out of my mouth, one after another, never seeming to end. The strange man held up a hand as if to silence me. He smiled, and it was genuine.

"Please, let me speak. I understand that you have questions, and I will answer them. I am the king of the Overworld. The people have given me many names, Allah, Abba, the list goes on. You are in the Overworld," He said simply, as if it was common sense.

"Okay," My voice wavered as I spoke, "but why am I here? You said my hour has come, but I don't understand what you mean."

"When you were four, a rose bud appeared on your neck, did it not?" He asked. I nodded, staring up at him blankly. When I was four years old, on my birthday in fact, a tattoo looking image of a rose bud appeared on the left side of my neck. As I grew it unfurled, and yesterday it bloomed fully, the rich red color now vibrant against my pale skin.

"You have been chosen as a gateway. Your job as a gateway, now that you're ready, is to take an angel back to Earth and teach him the ways of being human. He must learn these things so he can better understand how to help people, and what they need help with," he said.

This doesn't make sense. None of this makes any sense! I've never believed in anything like this and apparently, I've been chosen to be a... what was it he said? A gateway? There's no way this can be real. I must be dreaming. These thoughts swirled within my head, but then, unexpectedly, an angel stepped into view. He was tall with lightly tanned skin and brown hair that sat on top of his head perfectly. Now I knew this was a dream. This guy looked straight out of a Hallmark movie.

The angel smiled at me. It was a real smile, a smile that made you feel good, and just, warm and... happy. "Hey Amy!" he said, still smiling, "It's nice to finally meet you. Remember me?" Those last few words were quite contradictory, yet somehow, they made sense to me. How, you may ask? That was the same voice, the same lighthearted tone, that I heard at soccer practice.