Bedding:

Bad bedding type :

Cedar shavings: cedar shavings are well-understood to be unsafe for hamsters. Cedar trees produce chemicals that are ment to protect the tree from being eaten

Pine shavings: Pine has gained a rather misleading representation as being (not so dangerous as cedar) unfortunately. Many interpret this as still bad for hamsters, even if it's not as bad as cedar.

These two types of bedding is the most dangerous bedding. Hamster can be allergic of the chemicals they produce.

Softwood, unlabeled, scented, cotton fluff and corn cob bedding and shavings are also bad for hamsters and can cause stress cuts on hamsters feet and many illnesses.

Good bedding:

Hamsters are natural burrowers, and can dig to depths of up to 0,7m at times, it's important that you provide a safe supstrate meterial that allows for a proper burrowing and nesting. Your hamster's bedding should cover the entire cage and provide your hamster with ample room to burrow. The deeper the bedding the better, 40cm deep and more bedding.

Aspen shavings: aspen is the only save wood-based bedding for hamsters. Aspen is a safe affordable plus odour control bedding.

Paper based bedding: the most popular type of bedding for hamsters, paper based bedding is widely available on the market and safe to use. Example of safe paper based bedding is carefresh, crittercare, oxbow, Katee clean and cozy but the cheapest bedding is just plain toilet paper that you can rip up and use as bedding.