In The Apricot Forest, Discussing One's True History Part 3

Wu Changfeng said, "I lost it. Um..." After composing himself, he said in a loud voice, "One day, I really was craving some alcohol, but didn't have any money on me. I sold the gold medal to a jewelry store." Qiao Feng laughed uproariously. "Forthright and carefree! Only, I'm afraid that by doing so, you've wronged Marshall Yang a bit!" As he spoke, he pulled out a fourth knife. First, he used it to cut Wu Changfeng's bonds. Then, he planted it in his left shoulder.

Wu Changfeng loudly shouted, "Chief, you have shown me great benevolence and mercy. From this day forth, Wu Changfeng's life belongs to you. I'll never listen to anyone who spreads rumors about you ever again!" Qiao Feng clapped him on the shoulder, then laughed, "We're beggars. If we don't have food to eat or wine to drink, we should go beg for some. There's no need for us to sell gold medals." Wu Changfeng laughed, "It's easy to beg for food, but hard to beg for alcohol. Everyone always says, 'Foul beggar, now that your stomach is full, you want alcohol to drink as well? How shameless! I won't give you any, I won't give you any!'"

All the beggars listening boomed with laughter. Plenty of beggars within the clan had begged for alcohol, only to be refused. In addition, now that Qiao Feng had pardoned the four elders of their crimes, everyone felt as though a great burden had been lifted from them. Now, everyone's eyes turned to Quan Guanqing. They thought to themselves that he was the chief instigator and agitator of this plot to cause a revolt within the clan. No matter how magnanimous Qiao Feng was, there was no way he could pardon him.

Qiao Feng walkd to Quan Guanqing. He said, "Hall-master Quan, do you have anything to say?" Quan Guanqing replied, "I rebelled against you for the sake of the safety of our nation, the Great Song, and for the sake of preserving the Beggar's Clan. Unfortunately, the people to whom I revealed your true history are all cowards who are afraid of death and aren't willing to reveal themselves. Just go ahead and kill me!" Qiao Feng pondered for a bit, then said, "If there's anything wrong with my history, go ahead and say it openly." Quan Guanqing shook his head. "If I make empty accustations now, no one will believe me. It's best if you just kill me now."

Qiao Feng was filled with suspicion. He loudly said, "A real man says whatever is on his mind. Why hem and haw and refuse to speak when you want to? Quan Guanqing, a real man isn't afraid of death, much less saying a few words."

Quan Guanqing laughed bitterly. "Right. If one doesn't even fear death, what does he have to fear? Qiao Feng, hurry up and kill me with a single chop. That way, I won't have to stay alive and watch the Beggar's Clan submit to the barbarians, or the beautiful mountains of the Great Song be annexed by foreigners." Qiao Feng said, "Why would the Beggar's Clan fall under the control of barbarians? Explain clearly!" Quan Guanqing replied, "No one will believe anything I say now. They'll assume that I'm a coward who fears death and who made everything up. No matter what, I will die. Why should I leave behind a bad name?"

Bai Shijing loudly said, "Chief, this person is crafty and deceptive. He's saying a bunch of garbage, hoping to convince you to spare his life as well. Law-enforcing disciples, take the knives of law and carry out the sentence!"

A law-enforcing disciple said, "Yes sir!" He stepped forward, pulling out a knife and walking towards Quan Guanqing.

Qiao Feng never let his gaze waver from Quan Guanqing. Qiao Feng only saw an aggrieved, angry look on his face, and did not see any crafty or deceptive signs. Nor did Qiao Feng see any fear or dread. He began to feel suspicious, and said to the law-enforcing disciple, "Give me the knife of law." The law-enforcing disciple respectfully presented it to him with both hands.

Receiving the knife, Qiao Feng said, "Hall-master Quan, you say that you know my real history, and that it affects the safety of the Beggar's Clan. And yet, you are afraid to reveal what you claim the truth is." As he spoke, he wrapped up the knife into a bundle, placing the bundle within his clothes. "You have formented armed rebellion. It will be hard to pardon your crimes. However, I will temporarily grant a stay of execution. After the truth of the matter comes out, I will personally kill you. I, Qiao Feng, am not a fussy person who dithers and dickers. Now that I am determined to kill you, I'll wager you won't be able to escape me. Go away now, and leave behind your bags. From now on, you are no longer a member of the Beggar's Clan."

The phrase, 'leave behind your bags', carried with it the implicit meaning of expelling him from the Beggar's Clan. Aside from brand new members of the Beggar's Clan who had no formal duties at all, every person in the clan carried anywhere from one to nine cloth bags over their backs. The number of bags they carried signified the rank they held within the clan. When Quan Guanqing heard Qiao Feng order him to leave his bags behind, a murderous look filled his eyes. Turning around, he snatched one of the knives of law, inverted it, then pointed it towards his chest. Being expelled from one's clan or sect is so humiliating that the depth of the shame is difficult to describe. It was often considered to be even more intolerable than being executed on the spot.

Qiao Feng coldly watched him, waiting to see if he would actually kill himself or not.

Quan Guanqing held the law knife with a steady arm, hand not shaking in the slightest. Turning his head, he stared at Qiao Feng. The two locked gazes. Instantly, everyone went silent and no noise could be heard at all within the apricot forest. Quan Quanging suddenly said, "Qiao Feng, you are so calm and self-possessed! Can it be that you really don't know?" Qiao Feng said, "Know what?"

Quan Guanqing opened his mouth, but in the end, he said nothing. He slowly returned the knife of law to its original location, then just as slowly removed the bags from his back, reverently placing them on the floor.