by Rhonda E. Frost

I am not surprised at the verdict in Ferguson. I am numb. The narrative and end result is consistent with history.  

I hear the comments about the people's reaction and I'm looking at pictures of various Ferguson protests around the U.S. And while I don't necessarily agree, I do understand protests and why they happen. I understand pain and disbelief. People are angry and filled pain that they don't know what to do with. I didn't say this kind of protesting is smart, but I get it. I also understand that nothing in history has ever changed without revolutions or people gathering together in protest. People have to be heard and their presence(or absence - Montgomery Bus Boycott?) felt, to affect change.  

I can appreciate that in many of these protest pictures, there are plenty white people and others standing shoulder to shoulder with us showing their unity and understanding of the plight of black people, who also see the police brutality and injustice in the system. Just like the protests of the 60 ' s, Watts riots and the Civil Rights movement, they too share(d)our pain and vision for a fair system and opportunities for all and many stood right there with those who fought the good fight. I can't ignore that and I'm glad to see it. I am clear that we are not alone in what we see and feel. 

Anyone who pretends this is not a race and justice issue is delusional, doesn't pay attention to historical facts or current news. Anyway, I digress... 

Today we are angry yet again that no one will be held accountable for another unarmed black life that was cut short by those who are supposed to "protect and serve". There are no words that provide comfort for this pain and confusion. Law enforcement, like the rest of us, are supposed to be held accountable when they violate laws or kill people unjustified. However, they aren't held to the same standard (remember Fruitvale Station?) The message continues to be, black life has no value and police can do whatever to you and get away with it in the right city or political forum. Thats scary!  

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The system doesn't always work fairly for black people, especially poor black people. How much of this can people take? What do we tell our sons? How do we keep them safe?  

New York, Oakland, L.A., Ferguson, you name it, there's a city or state with a name of a black man killed by police where it seems like it was not justified and where the officer walked free. What to do? Where to go from here? All I keep thinking is what if that were my son? I can't even imagine! Feeling sad, torn, disturbed and numb at the same damn time.

For more on Protests all over the U.S. check out Huffington Post:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/25/ferguson-protests_n_6216234.html

Time to refocus my energy and find a way to make today positive.