Chapter IV- A Child's Eyes

The key didn't last long in its new form, it slowly changed back into the rusty key that I had first seen.
Still, a wonder it was. And a treasure indeed, as Hansel would put it. However, I wondered what door the key fit into, if it were to stay the same.
   When we left the rosebush, the butterfly came flying overhead as we reached the other side. "Goodbye new friend!" I called out to him. He did not answer. Hansel looked at me and said, "I do not yet know why some creatures are without a voice, but something tells me he understands things just as well as you or I." I looked back to the trees, envisioning the butterflies return. "Perhaps he just hasn't found his yet." I was not sad that he did not return, he had places to be I supposed. I still wonder though, how could he have gotten in the lantern? Was I meant to free him, with this strange key?
  The very next day, as I was quite impatient to make up my mind whether to pursue the mystery of my key or not, I went straight off to see Hansel about it. I was worried I was getting into something that shouldn't be meddled with, something that should stay a mystery, and Hansel always seemed to have good advice.
  "I think you should leave it alone! It was mere luck and coincidence than anything else that you happened upon that grove!" I recited to him, referencing my troubled conscience. He tried to interrupt many times, but he could sense my distress in the matter so he let me finish my blabbering. "Oh what should I do dear Hansel! The more I think about it, the more interesting this key gets! But am I tied to a fate with no return?" By the time I had finally finished, I was all worn out, but eager to hear some worthy advice. "What does your mother say?" He asked me. I was expecting less questions since my mind was already full to the brim with them, but I managed to answer. "She didn't want to talk about it, she said certain things should be left alone, and that magic should not be meddled with. Or at least, that is what she said many years ago." I hadn't thought much of her neglect on the subject, and I hadn't thought of asking her again. She seemed determined then, not to let me believe the notion that everything happens for a reason, since she pushed me away from conversations and situations that lead to this idea. Perhaps she thought it would starve my need for answers about the world, my growing curiosity. But she was wrong, it only made me want answers more.
  Hansel let me ponder this for a good moment, as I sipped some tea he put out for us. He finally spoke. "Well, What do you think?"