The Unsinkable Sinks

R.M.S Titanic
Northern Atlantic Ocean
2:07 a.m

The life of the infant liner was coming to an end. Her nameplate was now underwater. The railings that lined the ship on the bow were now just inches from being consumed by the murky Atlantic water.

The slant forward was now so noticeable, people were beginning to make their way for the stern. In hopes of staying out of the freezing water as long as possible, that was their goal.

Wallace and his three other bandmates were continuing to play, despite the exploding panic and fear surrounding them.

"Wallace, we should really go now!" Roger warned, glancing down towards the bow. Water was pouring over the forecastle deck, quickly submerging it underwater.

"No!" Wallace said. "Do you want to go down as gentlemen? Or go down as cowards?"

"The damn thing is sinking, Wallace! The boats are all gone as I know of, and in the next few minutes, we will all be in this freezing water."

"Do you not think I know that Mr. Bricoux?" Wallace said, filling with slight anger and irritation. Wallace never used his bandmates' last names up until now. But because they were scared and panicked, he had to step onto new turf in trying to control their feelings. And that included using their last names for some apparent reason.

Roger remained silent. He had nothing further to say to his bandmaster. He put his bow down. Wallace and Theodore both stopped playing their instruments as well.

"Will we see each other again, or are we?" Roger asked, breaking his brief silence.

Wallace lowered his violin and bow. The power, lighting the ship up, faded out. The electric was failing. Everyone knew Titanic wouldn't be afloat much longer.

The night sky continued to rage over everyone. The stars continue to sparkle and decorate the bland black abyss. If only there were a Moon, maybe the sinking would have never happened.

The lights that had been spotted earlier this evening, had now vanquished. Has any sign of rescue now left everyone's mind? Was rescue still going to come? Or would everyone perish with the grand, luxury liner: R.M.S Titanic?

"I will allow you three to go. But just remember this one thing: you will all be remembered as panicked band members of the Titanic that fled at the very last possible moment. I'll remain here at my post. Farewell everyone."

The power continued to fade in and out for the next couple of minutes. Roger, Theodore, and John all began walking away at around 2:10 a.m, bound for the stern.

As they were walking away, Wallace repositioned his violin and bow. He began playing one final elegant tune: Nearer My God to Thee.

Screaming, crying, and scared passengers were all fleeing to the stern of the dying vessel. The bow had now just slumped underwater, water rushing over the deck rapidly.

He began sliding his bow across the strings, playing the first couple of chords of the song by himself. Roger, Theodore, and John all glanced back with a look of guiltiness on their faces.

Were they really going to leave their friend and bandmaster, Wallace Hartley, to play the final tune by himself? Do they really want to go down with Titanic as cowards? Or as gentlemen?

And so, they walked back over to Wallace and surrounded him. And as the next chord began, they all joined in. Moaning and creaking could be heard as the rear end of the vessel slowly ascended into the air. It was becoming more difficult by the minute to stand. Deck chairs, and other loose necessities were quickly sliding down towards the bow and into the water.