Chapter 2: Lean On Me

Joshua Fischer:

"Watch yourself Josh, Kai baby no." Leeyah said taking a lighter out of Kai's hand.

"But my dad uses it to light candles." She says with a pout.

"That's grown up stuff dummy." Hunter said

"Aye man don't call your sister that." I replied trying not to laugh. For a few weeks now the kids came over at first to play with the dog, and that would bring Andre over.

He and I were starting off as good friends, when they came over Leeyah was playing candyland with the kids or they were watching some cartoon movie like cars or minions. They absolutely loved Leeyah, and I would even play fight with them and that would turn into me and Andre play fighting and Kai would end up on my team while Hunter was on his team.

They came for dinner one night and everything flowed from there, it was a joy to have them around. "Kujo!" Kai yelled and within seconds my German Shepard came charging at her from my bedroom.

He tackled her attacking her with kisses to the face making her laugh. She hugged his neck accepting his love openly. "Leeyah made y'all food if y'all hungry." I announced and the both of them took off running into the kitchen of course Kujo ran with them.

"Aht! Wash them hands!" Leeyah shouted walking into the kitchen after them. My phone began to ring, the only people that call me these days is my big brother, Andre, or my wife.

"Hello?" I answered

"Hey man, somebody called in and my boss says if I leave I'm fired I'm sorry to ask but you think you can keep the kids just for a few more hours?" He asked I could tell he had a hard time with asking me for that much. Andre was his own man and he made that clear but I also made it clear that it's okay to accept help. Everybody needs somebody eventually, and I don't know the whole story on him. Outside looking in, it just looks like the guy just needs some help with his kids.

"They are safe here man, and you don't gotta ask."

"I do, thank you and Leeyah you guys have really been a big help these past few weeks." He said

"Hey what are friends for bruh?" I said

"I don't know I've never had any man." He said with a soft chuckle.

"I understand, me either bruh." I said chuckling too. "It's all good, we love them man they ain't no problem and you not askin for too much. You can lean on me and my wife Dre."

"Thanks again, and imma have the rest of last months and this months rent Friday." He said quickly, often when I talked to Dre he seemed unorganized.

He didn't know what to do you could tell he was just taking it one day at a time and those were Leeyah's words. It makes her laugh, she thought it was funny how much he tried to juggle and how much he forgot about things due to something else popping up. "You focus on-"

"Kai lost her inhaler, and she needs it right now call Dre." Leeyah said in a rushed manner.

"Uh she has another one in the drawer closest to the fridge in the kitchen." Dre responded quickly. "I know you got some keys to the apartment gone ahead in man I'm on my way."