A Record of Raven

Who is Raven Almender?

"She's... Practical." Benjamin answered, struggling to find words to describe his daughter.

"Very intelligent!" Elijah replied with a grin that vanished soon after. "Although she does lecture me from time to time... Well, not lecture, exactly. She keeps me grounded."

When asked about her cousin, Iris shrugged and muttered,

"I don't see her much."

Josephine ignored all questions about her granddaughter with vigorous shaking of her head and a decisive slam of the door.

When asked about herself, Raven chuckled.

"What words can possibly equate a valid answer to that question?"

Raven comes from a lower-middle class family. She lives alone with her father, and both of them work to sustain themselves as well as her grandmother and her young cousin, Iris. Raven dropped out of school for work after finishing Delta Education. Raven's grandparents migrated from the chaos of Surnia to the more elegant and orderly Coronella, but her family hadn't been able to integrate fully ever since.

Under the stress of constant financial pressure and a harsh, disapproving mother, Benjamin was flustered and his attention was not dedicated to his daughter, so Raven grew up in solitude.

She was a bright child, very analytical and deeply thoughtful of herself and her surroundings. She had many dreams of leaving Coronella, and she always found herself studying people's behaviors and mannerisms because it was all fascinating. Her dreams were crushed by her reality, however and her life fell into a grey monotone, but she never quite gave up the habit of people-watching.

But The Almenders had skeletons in the closet, old bones bare and unburied. If Raven was to search and pry, what would her family's past have to divulge?

She gazed across the empty space in the shop. Dusk was reflected in the glass front of a display, and her image was faint. She stared as the question echoed in her mind. Was she the next brilliant mind of her time, or the next mind to be triumphed by its own ego? She frowned at the thought, and another one followed: what was the standard? Was she a person worth being known and remembered? For what?

Who is Raven Almender?