45

"Duke, please let go of my maid," Came the faint voice of He Xia.

Chu Beijie seemed to fall the cloud of the past back into reality. He looked down, she was still there, staring at him with her bright eyes.

"Duke, please let me dismount," she whispered.

Chu Beijie wasn't sure that he heard her correctly.

Dismount? Where are you going?

You lied to me, why should I just let you go because you say so?

In this entire world, I only want you, only you.

My hatred is strong yet my love is deep. I want your body and mind; there is no escape.

Chu Beijie frostily replied, "I only promised Gui Le five years of peace, I did not promise to give you up."

Pingting shook her head and said, "My country's soldiers haven't retreated yet. It's not looking too good for you, Duke."

"As expected of He Xia's female military advisor." Chu Beijie's lips were drawn tight, but then he smiled, "What do you think will happen if I kill you here and now?"

Pingting wasn't afraid at all, she sweetly laughed instead, "Pingting will die with Duke on the same day and at the same time."

"Wrong." Chu Beijie relaxed, before saying, "He Xia won't allow anyone to shoot me. He will let me leave here safely, so long I promise to uphold my promise of peace."

Uncertainty flicked on Pingting's face, though it was instantaneously back to normal. It however, did not escape Chu Beijie's sharp eyes.

Chu Beijie exclaimed, "You are He Xia's personal maid, yet you don't know that he is a famous general? What is famous, you say; it is distinguishing what's important and what's not. The life of Bai Pingting is insignificant in comparison to five years of peace."

Pingting hesitated for a while, before sadly saying, "Duke, do you really hate me that much?"

Chu Beijie gazed at her with a profound expression, not saying a word.

Pingting gave a wan smile. "Fine. Kill me."

As soon as she said this, her feet landed on the ground with a soft thud. Then she looked up, seeing the man so familiar yet imposing.

"This is your final chance." Chu Beijie sighed, "Get on the horse with me and say good bye to He Xia. From then on, you will no longer be called Bai Pingting, you will be Chu."

His words jolted through Pingting, because despite the treachery she had done, he had still left her a chance. How could I not feel grateful?

His crystal eyes stared into hers, whispering of their overwhelming love.

The Zhen-Bei Ducal Residence's guqin.

The flower had disappeared, to a place no one knew.

I am the soul that meanders through the snow-white plains, you are the world's sharpest blade. Between us, lies a mountain of hatred and betrayal.

High mountains, surrounded by snow. You cannot see me, I cannot see you.

A wrenching heart, never ceasing.

Pingting gazed into the distance where she could see He Xia waiting. She bit her lip hard, took a step backwards before saying, "Please leave Duke, Pingting cannot send you off."

Chu Beijie's face was expressionless, drained of warmth. He nodded.

"Well, well, well......." He said then coldly added, "One day, I'll let you know what excruciating heartache is." With that, he turned away, bringing his whip down hard on his horse.

The horse cried loudly before rushing out, leaving a cloud of dust behind.

Winter went, and spring came.

The flowers were blooming while butterflies flew, sometimes they even perched on a finger.

In a huge villa located near the borders of Gui Le and Bei Mo, Pingting stared listlessly into space.

"You've gotten thin these days," He Xia stood behind her, sighing. "Pingting, you've changed."

"Changed?" Pingting chuckled, flicked her finger and the butterfly flew off. She looked up, "Who has changed? Pingting's surname is still Bai, still owned by Master, still plays qin for Master everyday."

He Xia studied her, until she was unable to meet his eyes. Then he suddenly turned and got something behind him. "For you."

"What?" Pingting looked at it carefully, apparently it was a sword given by Chu Beijie as a token of truce. "This is a symbol of truce between two countries. You can't just give it to me."

"Chu Beijie has a certain habit, at every battle, he always has a sword on his right and left. This token is the sword on his left." He Xia paused, lowered his voice and said, "This sword is known as 'Departed Soul'."