Chapter Two: Nunchi.

"I refuse to let what happened to me make me bitter."

 -Nicole Kidman, Australian Actress, Before I Go to Sleep

Nunchi—The subtle art and ability to listen and gauge others' moods; the awareness of one's surroundings that allows them to read and react to the atmosphere properly. 

ORIGIN: Korean

Chapter Two. 

I wasn't sure how to react when Mason walked through the front door, no questions asked, by my grandparents who were sitting at the dining room table drinking a mug of coffee. It was as if they saw this on an everyday occurrence. I mean, it's not like Mason and Luke do this to one another . . . right?

Grams rocketed out of her chair when she saw Mason, "Oh, Mason! Long time no see!" Coming over to slap her hands on his cheeks—completely ignoring the fact that I was still draped over his shoulders—she pinched them before Mason chuckled, "What brings you this late in the night?"

There were a few moments of silence that followed, to which I couldn't see how they were communicating due to my face pressed against the back of Mason. When Grams slapped a hand to Mason's right shoulder; which was my thigh, she shrieked."Oh my, Lord!" I could only imagine Grams pale, frightened face, "Who did you whip up this time, Adams?"

Mason did a one eighty rotation, resulting in my line of sight to finally observe Grams and Gramps while Mason was faced towards the living room door. I waved hello to the pair of shell shocked elders, before Mason patted my bum and eased me down. When I was on the smooth, flat surface of the Earth, I couldn't help but slap Mason on the shoulder, to which he barely moved an inch.

"The booty is off merchandise, Adams!" I scolded the gorgeous man before me, giving him the best death glare I could manage. It didn't seem to work though, seeing how he gave a low chuckle and ruffled my hair.

"You're too cute for your own good."

I couldn't help the blush that burst across my face; spreading from my neck to the tips of my ears. "Shut up."

Mason's chuckle was cut off by a rush of crisp, cold air and the slam of a door being closed. Our attention focused on the front door, where Luke was dragging a beaten, limp male body into the front door of house. My eyes dragged from the body to the man dragging it as easily as if the person was a garbage bag.

Luke's hand was scratched and severely bruised, while his arm was covered in scratches. My gaze followed onwards, to his beaten face. His left eye was severely swollen, a cut at the edge of his bottom lip, and a full stream of blood continuously gushing down his broken nose. An inaudible gasp escaped my lips, as a breeze drifted past me and towards my brother.

"Lucas Miller!" Grams scolded, raising a hand to slap my brother on the forearm. "What have you done this time?"

Luke raised the limp dude as if he weighed nothing, "The little shit was at the gym when he jumped me from behind."

Grams eyes widened, "So you decided to kill the man?"

Luke sent an intense stare Grams way, "It was Midnight."

Her tense shoulders relaxed and her breathing became even before she slapped Luke at the back of his head. "Well, when you say it like that, it just happens to make everything better at attacking a Midnight!"

My Grams was a sarcastic old lady. And I love her for that.

"A Midnight?" I raised a brow in bewilderment. It didn't pass my thoughts when Grams claimed Luke to be attacking a Midnight.