Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I was getting ready for school when my phone started playing Animals by Martin Garrix. I looked at it briefly to see who it was from. Maddie. When I was done doing my hair and the little bit of makeup I do, I looked in the mirror and thought to myself, "I'm not gorgeous, but it'll have to do." Picking up my phone, I read the text from Maddie.

M: Sis, have you talked to Jonny this morning?

S: No, but he should be picking me up in a few.

M: I'll pick u up. I don't think he is.

I was about to reply to Maddie when I got another text. Jonny.

J: Babe I'm sorry. Mom was on a rampage this morning, do you have another ride to school?

S: yeah Maddie is coming to get me

S: See u at breakfast?

J: see u then! -kiss-

I felt bad for Jonny. His mom started drinking after his dad left. When she was drunk, she'd go on rampages. Luckily I was never there to see them. I only heard them through the phone and through Jonny telling me about them.

Ten minutes later Maddie is honking outside. I run downstairs to the kitchen where mom is making her lunch for work. "Bye mom. Love you." I whisper as I give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Bye honey, I love you" she whisper into my hair. When I get to Maddie's car, I wave at mom who is standing at the front door waving. "Sis! I love that shirt on you!" Maddie says as I get in the car.

"Only because you bought it!" I say laughing.

"Yeah, well, I have good taste!" She laughs with me. We continue laughing as we head to the school.

Thinking about this mornings events, I was wondering how Maddie knew Jonny wasn't picking me up. She didn't live near him, and they weren't friends. "Maddie, how'd you know Jonny wasn't picking me up this morning?" I asked her curious.

She tensed up.

"Oh uhm, just a guess." She replied.

"Did you see him or something?" I asked, determined to get something out of her.

"Yeah, he was at the gas station near my house. When I was getting in the car, he was going towards the school." She said. This time she looked calm.

"Oh okay." I replied. Letting it go.

I was still confused why he was there, but obviously my best friend was telling me all she knew and they didn't talk, so it was really something I needed to talk to him about. Not her.

Walking into the cafeteria, I didn't see Jonny right away. I kept looking for him while I was going through the breakfast line. I saw him then, at a table with his friends. I always found it odd he was fiends with popular people, but he wasn't popular. When I sat down at the table, his friends left without a word. Just like they always did. "Good morning," I said smiling at him.

"Morning, babe," he said before kissing my cheek.

"Something wrong?" I asked noticing his sad expression.

"No I'm fine," he pulled me close and kissed the top of my head.

He didn't let go of me while I finished my breakfast, but also gave me enough space to where it wasn't uncomfortable. I felt safe. Just like I always did when he held me. When he held me, it was like it was just us and nothing else mattered as long as his arms were around me. I wanted to be there forever.

As every other day, he walked me to class, kissing me softly before letting me go inside. This was normal, and I loved it.

At lunch his friends stayed siting at our table when I sat down, which was odd. They didn't like me, like most of the school. So they always left when I got there. Today they were talking about the cheerleaders. Jonny wasn't participating, but he wasn't ignoring them either. He asked questions but didn't seem too interested in the answers. He looked at me whenever they said something.... I didn't know why, but I told myself it was because he loved me and didn't care about the cheerleaders looks or who they last slept with. When I was done eating, Jonny pulled me to him like always. I snuggles into his arms and rested my head on his chest, my eyes closed. I knew he didn't hang out with the guys outside of school, so since they hadn't left the table, I let them talk. Jonny and I spend a lot of time together as is, so it's nice to see him have some guy time. He kissed my forehead and I couldn't help but smile. After a few minutes, he whispered in my ear, "how about we go to the movies Friday? That movie you want to see is coming out."

"Sounds great babe," I smiled into his chest.

"Awesome. Dinner and a movie Friday then," he said before kissing the top of my head.