Chapter Six

"Why is he here?" Damian asked angrily while Dick pulled him into another room, trying to avoid a yelling match in front of the whole team. That wasn't the best way to welcome a new member.

"Damian, come on. Jon is a great kid and a powerhouse we could use on the team."

"You and Father arranged this. You think I can't handle my duties on the team. He's my replacement," Damian replied. He was agitated, pacing around the room. Finally, he planted his feet and stared right into Dick's eyes. "I don't regret going after Deathstroke. I'll admit I should have been more careful, but that was me being a team player. I protect my teammates.

"Dami, this isn't personal," Dick said with a sigh. "He needs team experience and we have room. Besides, I thought you guys were friends?"

"We had a falling out. I don't want to talk about it." Damian replied, his expression becoming steely as he looked down to the floor.

"Well fine, you don't have to talk about it but you do need to be professional. Better yet, try to be friendly. I know that doesn't come easy to you." Dick said with a teasing smile as he reassuringly squeezed his little brother's shoulder.

"Also, for the record, I am proud of you for having your teammates backs. I just want you to be careful. And you know, not murder anyone in the meantime."  Damian nodded. Grayson was annoying, but he understood him. He cared for him.

Raven couldn't help but wonder what Damian and Dick were talking about while she sat on the couch in the common room. Jaime and Garfield had left to go play video games in their rooms and Kori had just stepped out to finalize a new training course for the team, leaving Raven and Jon completely alone. She could feel the awkward energy in the room. Literally. She didn't know what to make of Jon. He didn't really look like the son of Superman. Sure he was built and shared the same handsome features, but he lacked the... confidence.

Superman is basically a God. One of the most powerful forces in the universe and here his son is standing in the corner of the living room not knowing what to do with himself. Raven considered leaving to go to her room, but something stopped her. She knew what it was like to join the team. It was definitely intimidating. It's like highschool, but substitute bratty teenagers for super-powered teen heros.

"So, what made you want to join the team?" Raven asked, slightly sitting up and looking over to Jon. He looked up, startled. He was obviously not expecting her to talk to him.

"Oh, well my Dad suggested it. He thought it would be a good idea for me to get some training. And he loves Kori and Dick." He hesitated as he started to walk towards Raven, carefully sitting down on the couch next to her. He didn't know if she was inviting him in for a conversation or not. Damn, he needed to work on social skills, he thought.

"I can sense your hesitation. Don't be worried, everyone here is great. Kori is a friend I never knew I needed and Dick is like the overprotective older brother I never wanted." She said, slightly laughing. She could feel Jon relaxing as he smiled back at her, interested to hear about his new teammates. "Jaime and Gar are a bit... comedic at times, but they are fierce heros that will have your back. And Damian... well, it seems like you already know him?"

Jon looked down, uncomfortable. He began playing with the buttons on his shirt as he tried to figure out what to say. He obviously didn't want to talk about it. "Yeah, Dami and I have known each other for years. We used to go out on patrol a lot together, but yeah, we haven't spoken to each other in awhile." Raven wanted to push him to elaborate but she knew it wasn't the right time. She had a feeling she would find out soon enough anyways.

"Right, well let me know if you need anything. My room is on the tenth level, third door on the right." She stood up ready to leave when he stopped her.

"Wait, is it... is it true that you're the daughter of Trigon. And that he, you know, lives with you?" Jon asked, looking up at her, not knowing if he was pushing her kindness. She seemed to be such a genuine person. A little creepy, sure; be he couldn't imagine she could come from someone so awful.

"Yes, it's true. Everyday I feel him in my thoughts; but I have control. I wouldn't recommend you piss me off, though." She said with a laugh and he joined in. Raven almost didn't hear the kitchen door open.

She looked over to see Damian and Dick. Damian had his arms crossed with an unreadable expression. He was staring daggers at both of them. "Oh, I'm glad you guys have gotten a chance to introduce yourselves. Jon if you're ready, I'll show you to your room," Dick said, ushering Jon out the door, who mumbled a 'see you later' to Raven before he disappeared.

Raven made eye contact with Damian. He looked even more pissed than when he first saw Jon.

" I see you're taking nicely to the new addition to the team," Damian said coldly as he remained standing across the room from Raven.

"I was just welcoming him here. You know how hard of a transition it can be," she said carefully, not really wanting to bring up how he almost killed Jaime the first day he joined the team. Damian walked towards her with his arms still crossed. He started into her amethyst eyes and Raven wanted to know so badly what he was thinking. It felt like they were silent for hours, even though it was probably only a few seconds.

"I don't remember you being that friendly to me," he replied almost in a whisper, still not breaking eye contact. Raven felt like she could crumble. He looked so intense. But she was also feeling the urge to fight back. She hadn't done anything wrong. Whatever Damian was feeling towards Jon wasn't on her.

"Careful Damian, you're starting to sound jealous." she stared back at him with shared intensity and she wondered who was going to break contact first. The tension was palpable.

"I don't get jealous, Raven," he said, taking a half step forward, so close to her their chests were almost touching. "I've never had a reason to be." Raven felt her breathing getting shaky as he got closer. She realized whatever battle they were in, she was losing. She took a step back, taking a deep breath.

"Whatever, Damian. It was nothing. Want to try again for a healing session tonight?" She asked, hoping to change the conversation.  He looked at her for a second before replying.

"No, I'm going out," he said, while turning on his heel to leave.

"Damian, you're still injured you can't go on patrol," she replied irritated. he turned around with a smirk on his face.

"I said I was going out. I never said I was going on patrol." And with that, Damian walked out of the room without a second glance.