8.

Naina's P

Naina's P.O.V.

"Oh my god! Oh my god!" I squeal in excitement when I read my email.

I re-read the email just to be sure.

Hi Miss. Ahuja,

We are pleased to inform you that you are hired to the position of as a Marketing manager in our company.

To accept this job, please email back.

Rohit Patel

I scream again. I need to tell Ma and Papa about this. My first job.

"Ma! Papa!" I yell and hurriedly go downstairs.

"Nainu! Stop shouting! Is this how you are going to act in your in-laws after you get married?" Ma scolds, a frown emerging on her face and her hands on her waist. She does this a lot whenever she lectures me.

I ignore her comment and show her my phone. "I got the job!" I squeal and then run over to Papa to show him the email.

I stop jumping up and down when I see Ma and Papa weren't as excited as me.

"Nainu, is it really a good idea to get a job when you're just getting married?" Ma frowns.

"But Ma, I don't want to sit down and be a housewife my whole life. I want to be an independent woman," I explain to her. I knew this was going to be a problem.

"I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a job. I'm just saying you should wait after a year or two after you get married," Ma reasons.

"Your mother is right Nainu. You should focus on your marriage now, not a job," Papa says and tears spring to my eyes.

I thought Papa would be the one who would support me but even he is against me getting a job. "But Papa, I got a gob from Delhi Marketing. This is one of the best marketing companies and I can't just give up this offer."

"Uncle, Aunty, I don't mind if Naina gets a job," a voice behind me says.

I turn my attention towards the voice and I see Ishaan there.

"But Ishaan beta, she should focus on your marriage. You guys are going to be newlyweds and marriage is hard," Ma explains.

"Then, I should probably quit my job. Marriage is hard, we should both stay home," Ishaan sarcastically says.

"Ishaan beta, you're the man of the house and you should support your family," Papa says.

"Why is it that a woman can't work when she gets married?"

"It's not that beta, we just think that she should wait a year or two before working," Ma reasons.

"We all know it's not going to be a year or two. What about when we have children? You're going to say she should stay home to take care of our children," Ishaan points out. "I honestly don't mind if she works. And plus she got a job from one of the best marketing companies in India. She shouldn't be allowed to give up that opportunity, I won't let her."