Chapter 2: The Jumping Bird

Me and Aspen paused for a short moment. Having someone pass away in front of our eyes is something we have never experienced before. I only wish that I could have asked for more information about what he said. That reminds me, before the man went, he said something about a book. It was still on the ground with its cover still tied with a frayed thin piece of manila rope. I picked it up and pulled Aspen away.

"Hey, I think the guy passed away," someone in the crowd said. When someone had said that, the mumbles started to get louder and louder.

"That adventurer sure looked like he had some skills. But now that he's dead, I'm just gonna help myself to what he left."

"Hey, I'll be the one who will get his stuff! You probably have no idea what he has in there. It will be more useful in my hands."

"No, I'll have it!"

Everyone was running towards the wounded pegasus and the dead man. People were pulling each other by the hair, their shirt, and even their leg. It was total chaos in this part of the marketplace.

"Hey that dead guy gave something to these kids," the man said. He was a man wearing fine clean clothes, an unbelievably fat body, and golden jewelry hanging on every limb he had. He was holding a piece of fried chicken in his hand, and a golden cane on the other, he wore a fine red cotton tunic decorated with golden vines, his leather shoes even reflected the sun's light. He looked so rich that he might be able to buy a whole town with just a snap of his finger.

"I bet that what he gave them will sell for a hefty price. Oh how wonderful would it be get richer than ever before! And that pegasus would be a priceless pet. It's wonderful white fur surely will strike all those filthy nobles in awe," The man with golden jewelry thought. He started to walk toward me, and Aspen with a nasty smile.

"Oi," He called to us. "Give me what the man gave you and I, your gracious shining sun named Elmer Purcell, will give you anything you want. Be it money, a house or a lady, I'll give it to you! Seeing as you look like children of poverty I take it that you will take my offer?"

Sensing some high level of danger coming from everyone, I pulled Aspen and Rue to my side. Everyone else had their eyes on us too because of what Elmer said. In no time at all, they blocked every exit that we could take. Behind us was what was left of a grocery stall, in front of us was Elmer and the crowd staring at us, and beside us were buildings that seemed to want to block the light of the sun.

"Why do you want it?" I asked. Just looking at that hideous smile could make someone scared just with a glance. Not me, however. For some reason I don't feel like getting scared of his face. Aspen and Rue looked spooked though. They were literally shaking when I grabbed them.

"Oh, well, you know, the things you do with books. Read them, I guess?" He rolled his eyes left and right, played with his fingers, and swayed right to left while going near us. Behind him, everyone was getting ready to pounce on us. Why are they trying to take what we have instead of helping us? I thought. What is eye-catching about the things we got from that man?

Elmer leaned to someone from the crowd. "I'll give you 50,000 gold pieces if you're able to catch those two if and when they refuse." He whispered.

"50,000 gold pieces!" The person said.

Hearing that shout, I immediately realized that he would try and get what I have from me regardless of my answer. I ran toward the broken ceramic stall while holding Aspen and Rue.

As soon as I started, they tried to catch me too. Gotta get out of here, I thought. Closing in on the stall, I was running out of places to run to, I can feel my breathing getting harder and harder. Everyone was closing my way out. The stall is getting closer. I'll have nowhere else to run to. This is it. This is a good day to go