Sixteen | Observations Add Up

On their way back to camp to locate TJ, Ciara was nervous. She tried discussing details with Skye, but he seemed oddly disinterested in possible clues about the 'what happeneds' of library pens.

"Which way did the footprints go, Skye?" She stared at the path. "How do you see them?"

The grasses shimmered in the breeze.  Watching them, Ciara thought back to how she'd felt when Skye had tried to convince TJ she could be his "Sign."  The sensation of life-in-all-things had filled her.  And now, it was as if the grasses were speaking for "life" and the warmth of the land responded to her thoughts.

Movement ahead grabbed her attention. TJ approached on the path from the camp.  As he got closer, Skye's breathing grew so quiet Ciara had to strain to hear it.

"Pardon me, again," Ciara greeted the instructor. They both came to a halt.

"Hello, young lady. How are you today?"

"I'm sorry. I realize I should know where I belong by now. But I don't have even the faintest idea. You may have told me, but I can't seem to remember."

"Yes. You took a spill. I recall. You must be a mid-level student. You look like you are. We didn't get a chance to discuss it before your friend whisked you off."

"Thank you— So where do I go to find out where I belong?"

"Well, I'm the Tracking Instructor, plus a few other things, so I should be able to help you. Ylva told me one of the students thought a donation to the library had gone missing—on purpose?"

Ciara's mouth fell open.  "How did she tell you so fast—?"

"Mind-voice, Dear Girl. I suppose that student would have been you?"

Ciara nodded.

"As it turns out, I'm not sure where you are from yet. I'd like to consult some books. All right with you? I'm headed there now."

Ciara perked up. She turned back to go with him.

"I don't know how soon I can sort out where you came from—bit of a mystery, but I promise you'll be in good hands while you're here."

"Thank you."

"Meantime, I doubt artifacts have vanished from the library archives without The Keepers noticing.  They're too good at their jobs.  But a word of caution—when it's calm here, as it is now, things can go topsy-turvy rather quickly." 

Ciara mulled over what he said. I wonder what he means by 'topsy-turvy'? Hmmm—?  I suppose I'll find out.  But I like TJ.  He's kind.

TJ smiled as if he'd heard her thought.  "The artifact may be gone, but I'd wager it's only been momentarily misplaced in the chaos of students arriving.  We've only been at it two weeks. Everyone's new. It's not just you. That make you feel any better?"

"Much, much better."

He studied her for a second and gave her another smile.  "I'm impressed by your interests, but it's likely nothing's amiss—so don't you go worry."

"But—what about where the holder was found? And the clasps on the gems?  And the crate— It was sealed back up!  Shouldn't we look into the other crates?"

"I'm sure the thing will turn up first. That pen is quite memorable—everyone knows about it. Don't you worry. Mysteries here often look a great deal less mysterious after some calm examination."

Ciara shook her head slowly.  "I don't know about that.  It looked so suspicious."

"Here," TJ added, "I'll give you an example— I was just tracking a man who was having unusual visions. So, I 'looked-inward'—out of concern, you see.  I wanted to help him.  When I saw what he'd been seeing, I grew extremely alarmed.  I finally caught up to him in the the clear space of Offlands, and imagine my surprise, he turned out to be one-hundred and three. It was just his dementia. Very clever, he was, as well."