Chapter Two

The bell stops ringing as my foot crosses the line between the hallway and Ms. Wilson's room.
    I am unpleasantly surprised at the fact that in her place, another teacher sits there, feet propped up on the desk like its been hers since it left the factory.
    She wears thick- rimmed glasses and way too much makeup. On top of all this, she has a sinister grin slapped on her rosy red lips. I decide to take my seat before I have the chance to throw up.
    Without saying a word or even acknowledging her, I slip to the back of the class as she calls my name.
     "Christine?"she says loudly. "Is Christine Russell here today?"
    "Here," I reply, sure that those will be one of the few words I ever say to her.
    She heaves herself out of the folded up position she had been sitting in since I met her and hobbles up to the front of the room. It looked like it took a lot of her energy.
    "Okay, everybody," she booms, "my name is Ms. Anderson, and I'll be your biology teacher for - well, I don't really know how long. But it'll be fun with a cool substitute like me, right?"
    She was answered with a stony silence, broken by a loud sneeze.
  "Bless you," somebody says.
  "Thank you," replies the person who sneezed.
    It looked like she was disappointed that she didn't get the response she was hoping for. With that, she sighed hard enough that the people sitting in the front probably saw her nostrils flare.
    "Listen, I don't know what you guys' problems are, but you better show more respect than this as the year goes on. Understood?" she said menacingly.
    This was the first time I realized that she wasn't nice. And she sure as hell wasn't normal.