chapter forty-five. house of victory

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

            Well, I didn't get back to sleep after that dream. Nina and I went out in the hall to talk about it so we didn't wake Amber. Turns out she had a very similar dream, down to the otherworldly visage of Sarah and her telling us it was time for her to go. Except Lily was only in mine, not hers. So that worried us, but right after breakfast we're going down to the home to see her. Victor can try and stop us from going on weekdays all he likes, we're still doing it.

            Thus far this morning the only thing that managed to get the two of us out of our somber moods was seeing Amber making herself up and looking a lot more confident in herself than usual. It's like Amber 2.0. The school election is in a couple hours and honestly, Mara's probably going to win. She definitely has an advantage with me after Jerome quit her campaign, but also now he's on Amber's campaign, so based solely on my anger at him currently (okay, yes, he did apologize to Amber, and she did say he seemed genuine, but it'll probably take a lot more than a simple apology to get him back on my good side and back to the point where I acknowledge how I stupidly apparently have a crush on him) I might end up voting for Amelia Pinches out of spite.

            At breakfast, I can tell Nina's on the same train of thought as me re: our dreams. Sarah said it was time for her to go. Lily (who is deceased) said Sarah was coming to be with her. But I can't believe that. I don't want to believe it. We need to get to the home sooner rather than later.

            War music practically sounds in the room as Amber and Mara, rival candidates, enter the room. I glance at Nina beside me, noting her crestfallen expression. My face probably looks the same. Fortunately, or unfortunately considering who it is, Jerome unwittingly gets my mind off the dream by going, "So, election day. The big vote-off. Now Alfie, of course, is a definite for Amber." Alfie winks at her. "So are Nina and Ashley, and so am I. And that just leaves Mick and Patricia for you, Mara. Are you getting nervous?"

            "Oh, back off, Clarke," Mick snaps.

            Honestly, it's really amazing that the only person in this house who ever disliked Jerome Clarke as much as I have is Mick Campbell. We have, like, two things in common, and disliking him is one of them. Truly amazing.

            "Nina, Ashley, sweeties," says Trudy as she comes in, setting her hands gently on our shoulders, and I freeze. My legs go numb. She sounds a little sympathetic. "Could you two come with me, please?" I press my lips together, throwing a cautious glance to Amber before Nina and I both get out of our seats. I link my arm with Nina's as we follow our housemother into the hallway, already knowing what she's going to tell us. "There's some bad news, I'm afraid," she tells us sympathetically. "The old peoples' home just called."

            And Nina realizes quietly, the only conclusion we could make from our dreams, "Sarah's dead."

            I squeeze my eyes shut. I can hear Trudy gently correcting Nina—Emily Grant. That's the name Sarah Frobisher-Smythe went by at the home. I let out a shaky breath as I open my eyes again, letting go of Nina's arm to wrap my arms around her. I can hear her crying and feel her tears soak into my jumper.