Chapter 1

Miriam Fairfox-

This is your brother Charles Fairfox. I don't know how well you remember me, but I heard today was your birthday. Well, happy birthday sister! I know we haven't talked much since I moved, but 12 is such an important birthday I thought I could take time out of my busy schedule to say hello. I know you might not be awake at the same time as I am, but I hope this fire-message gets to you. I hear also that you have worked and I...

Miriam crumpled up the note and threw it across her dark room with a cry. She sat up in her bed and wondered why her brothers always were so curt and proper with her, like they were holding her like a china doll. She rolled over and got up. There were still 2 of her 5 brothers home and her parents so she knew she had to be silent. The cute little country home seemed more like her family than her actual family did. She also knew that eventually they would have to move out to go somewhere else where she can't do anything because she's too "young" and "innocent" contrary to her parents beliefs she had seen some horrific stuff and could hold it together on her own.

She snuck down the hall and began her decent to the living room. She paused when she heard the voices of her family.

"Ari you know how much it would devastate Miriam to not get her first runes she's been training for her whole life."

"Father," said Ari, the third oldest, " you have heard the rumors as much as I. I think that she should not begin her true training with the marks until she is at least 15 and knows better of herself. Lately she has been doing things harshly and very rash, without thinking and I know what troubles that could cost her. If she..."

At this point my father cut Ari off. "Son you did the same thing, it was because you were so anxious to begin your training. I know exactly how she feels, it's the same way all of us felt when we were about to get our first marks. So, yes I see where you are coming from and I think that Mariam..." Now I was upset.

Was Father really thinking about me not getting my marks until I was 15? I could not wait that long. I knew if I stayed eavesdropping on my brother and my father I would be caught. I left them to their conversation and went into my cozy little room with so many questions rattling around inside of my brain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night it took me hours to fall asleep, my head was spinning with the thought that I might not begin my training tomorrow after all. I also thought that my brothers all got training when they were 12 and if I don't I would be the odd person out, like always. I had these thoughts racing around my head as my eyes slowly fluttered closed and I began my fitful sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~HER DREAM~~~~~~~~~~

I began walking towards the towering castle-like mansion. I felt my feet squishing into the soft floor of emerald grass and dirt underneath me. My feet were bare, I knew that because I wiggled my toes freely. I took a step towards the house and gasped at the shimmering as the residence changed and morphed into something completely different. The brown-gray textured stone rippled and then changed into smooth wood panels, and its few curved roofs grew and elongated into one large tower hanging over the grand entrance and the sides progressed into a long side that hung out over a cliff that faced the ocean. The siding was a deep forest green and the outside walls were a winter white. I got over my shock of the changing house and stepped out of the tree-line and onto the stone pebble pathway that led up to the house. I grabbed the the sliver handle on the golden pecan double doors. As soon as the skin on my hand brushed the cold metal the doors creaked open and a loud informant voice spoke clearly "Come in." I didn't want to but contrary to what I wanted my feet obeyed the man's voice.
I followed the talking in the background and worked my way into the dining room where there were many important looking people there, and my father. At the head of the table was a small man with a loud personality to make up for his height issue.
"So you've decided to join us," the man said happily. "She will be so excited to meet you."
I tried to answer him but not a peep came out of my mouth. Soon my hands were moved around to my back and a rope was put on them that hadn't restrained them before. My legs moved themselves to a chair and sat me down. I was restrained even further when the bonds attached my legs to the chair. Soon everyone was laughing a hissing laugh. One that terrified me but intrigued me at the same time. It didn't once the people didn't have hair any more and had snakes instead and green slit pupiled eyes. I struggled against my ropes and only managed to scoot closer to the people who had by then turned into one giant woman monster thing. Here she made the rules and followed them. I could be bigger than her. I imagined myself to grow. My feet began to swell and my arms grew. My face began to stretch and morph as my skin outgrew the bones I had. I grew taller and taller until I matched her height, and suddenly she grew more and sank her fangs into the fleshiest part of my neck, and ripped all the skin off. My blood worked its way down my neck and onto the floor. I screamed in agony as I shrank back down and passed out from the amount of blood loss.

~~~~~~~END OF DREAM~~~~~~~

I woke with a start the sun blinding me as I stumbled across my room to get dressed. I picked up black pants my green belt and my cerulean and emerald graphic tee. My tennis shoes matched pretty well so I wore those. I brushed my naturally straight, long hair and pulled it into a high ponytail and headed for the kitchen.

Everyone was gathered around the table discussing something. When I walked in all eyes were on me.

"Miriam," my father said, "we need to talk."