Play Script: Sinclair's Sin

Narrator: It's early afternoon.The funeral of Rosa Stanthorpe should begin in about an hour. The hall before the Reception room is empty except for the french door to the showroom and the small oak table holding the neatly folded funeral programs. The light rays coming through the glass front door move as Lucian Sinclair, the handsome looking violinist enters. His face holds a blank yet deathly look.

Lucian: *Sets violin case on ground and picks up a program* The funeral begins in an hour, I should get in there and set up *flips open program and looks at first page* What? No....No... This can't be.. *drops program to ground*

(Lucian backs into the wall as his breathing increases)

Lucian: It can't be her, it can't! *peers through glass of closed door*

(A closed casket is set in right center, a picture of a breath-taking woman set up beside it)

Lucian: *fumbles with tie as he runs his opposite hand through his hair* Oh my god. The night of the concert, I did this. This is my fault. It's all my fault...

(The lights dim except for the center of the stage, the light tune of a piano begins to play) (Door closes)

(Heels click against the stage as Rosa makes her way to center stage.)

Rosa: His set is over in a few minutes *opens purse and takes out cigarette pack* I'll just wait for him out here *sticks cigarette in mouth and lights it*

(Car sounds in distance) (Loud slam of a door)

Lucian: *Holding violin bow while smiling* You didn't have to wait out in the cold for me.

Rosa: I wanted too. You played beautifully in there, Lucian.

Lucian: That means a lot, thank you very much.

(Rosa takes another drag of her cigarette)

Rosa: I never took you as one who could play with such emotion *smirks* or maybe that is due to you keep yourself so closed off.

Lucian: What do you mean? I've told you more about myself then anyone will ever know.

(Rosa blows out a puff of smoke and throws the cigarette on the ground, stomping on it with her heel)

Rosa: In there... I could feel the sorrow in every note you played. The heartache, the misery and the worry. I could pick up every piece of distress but I couldn't put my finger on the reason you played like that.

Lucian: Rosa, it was the mood for the evening. I -

Rosa: It was an original, Lucian. It came straight from in there *points finger at his heart*

(Lucian's eyebrows pinch together)

Rosa: I don't want to start a fight, I just want you to be open with me. That's what a healthy relationship is made of *begins to walk toward left center*

Lucian: If I told you everything, it would make you leave me...

Rosa: *stops walking* How do you know that?

Lucian: It's made everybody else leave...

Rosa: I'm not everyone else.

(Rosa walks over to face him and reaches for his free hand. Lucian gripes onto the violin bow)

Lucian: How could a girl like you, want to be with something as worthless as me? *rips hand out of Rosa's hold*

Rosa: How dare you call yourself worthless. Have you not met yourself? Can't you see what you are? You're such a talented human being, Lucian.