The Purposes and Benefits of Stimming

Stimming has many different benefits such as: helping you to stay calm when you are overwhelmed, help you concentrate on a certain task, and express feelings and emotions. It is good to develop a range of all different types of stims, so based on whatever situation you are in you can choose an appropriate stim. 

Some of my favorite stims are:

- Using trampolines and Swings

- Flapping my hands

- Bouncing on an exercise ball

- And twirling my hair 

The purpose of stimming is to help you feel good. It should not interfere with other's happiness and personal boundaries. If other people need to focus on something (such as an exam or test) do not do a loud or disruptive stim and instead, stick to a subtler stim. You can also go to the bathroom for a short amount of time to take a break if you are feeling overwhelmed. 

Please do not put your own needs aside because you think other people might judge you. For example in my school cafeteria, it is so loud I need to wear headphones. Me wearing headphones combined with my bright hair earns a lot of whispers and people looking at me, but I do not really care because my headphones help me from not being overwhelmed just like stimming does.   

Always remember that there is nothing wrong with stimming in public. If you need to stim then you should!