10. Happy birthday!

I blow off the candle and make a wish, closing my eyes. Opening them, I take a big bite of the cupcake as I wipe the frosting off the angle of my lips.

This is my first birthday away from home, in a new city, all by myself. No family. No friends. Just me in my lavish apartment with a view to die for. And Ruff.

I walk to the balcony and lean against the glass rails. I look into the ocean as the soft salty breeze makes my locks dance to their tunes. I smile wryly.

No friends to throw me a party. No family to cook a meal for me. No companion to take me to dinner. Just me.

I lost all of them one by one as I climbed up the ladder of life. Some lost touch with me, some I cut ties with, and some I blocked out.

After years of being let down by people who I considered my friends, my body developed a defence mechanism against humans.

And that is why I am alone on my birthday, enjoying a view to die for from the balcony of my lavish apartment, and feasting on a cupcake that melts in the mouth.

Is all this worth being alone?

"Woof woof".

Ruff runs towards me with his pug paws and slips on the floor, and I laugh out loud. I collect him in my arms as he licks the frosting off my mouth, leaving a wet feeling on my face and a feeling of belonging in my heart.

"Thank you baby", I whisper to him as I feel his unspoken birthday wishes.

Happy birthday to me, I smile.