Chapter 15

Alessa

I smiled to myself as my experiment proved a success. I was currently working on the blood samples I had gotten from Selden a few days ago. After so many trial and errors, I had finally found something that would freeze the infected cells for a few months until I could find an actual cure or until I was able to talk to the Moon Goddess about it. I had injected Selden's blood with a drop of wolfsbane mixed with a few drops of my blood, which froze the infected cells, leaving the healthy cells in tact. Although this was temporary, it was a great start for me. I took a syringe and filled it with a millimetre of wolfsbane. I then added 3 millimetres of my blood and set the syringe to the side. I packed up everything else and put it away.

Selden, come to the lab as soon as you can, I mind linked him.

Be down in a bit, he quickly replied. I sat down on the chair, feeling a little light-headed. I knew it was due to the little amount of blood I had taken from myself to experiment. I would be fine in a few hours. I looked down at my stomach, noticing the small bump that was barely there. In less than four months, they'll be out and in our arms. I heard a knock on the door. Dax.

"Come in," I said. Dax entered in all his half-naked glory. I admired his bare chest, smirking.

"Enjoying the view, love?" he asked, leaning down and capturing my lips in a soft kiss.

"Very much so, handsome," I said after he broke away and leant down to my belly, giving it two kisses.

"So I'm guessing you found something?" he asked, eyeing the syringe on the desk. I nodded, smiling at him. He frowned as he saw my bandaged arm.

"It was a small sample, Dax," I muttered. He glared at the ground before looking at me, his gaze heated.

"You're exhausted by that tiny amount. Damn it, Alessa! You're still recovering. And then you'll have to contact the Goddess in less than two weeks. You know better!" he practically yelled. I sighed.

"Which is why I only used a small amount. It's only temporary because I'm only using a small amount," I said, standing up in front of him.

"You could've used my blood!" he said, raising his voice a notch.

"You have responsibilities in this pack. I can't have you weak and exhausted around rogues!" I stated in a raised voice. I stumbled a bit because I was still dizzy from earlier. Dax was at my side, setting me down.

"See? You can't even stand," he sighed. I grimaced, feeling a slight headache coming on. It was due to my lack of food. I had rushed to the lab early today.

"I'll eat after I give him that dose," I said, reading his thoughts. He was about to speak when there was a knock at the door. "Come in," I said rather quickly. I was just about to get up, but Dax pushed me back softly. I sighed but nodded.  Selden came in and smiled. I could see he was beginning to lose his color. Dax was one step ahead of me, grabbing the syringe and setting a confused but obedient Selden down on a chair.  Selden pulled up his sleeve, not breaking eye contact with me.  "This will freeze the affected cells for a few months until I come up with a cure or find something from the Goddess," I explained as Dax plunged the needle into his arm. Dax quickly emptied its content and gripped Selden.

"FUCK!" Selden cried out as he struggled against Dax. I got up quickly, regretting it as I felt a bit dizzy. I ignored it and went to Selden.

"Stay back, Alessa," Dax said, turning to look at me. Selden used this as the perfect opportunity to push Dax away, sending him stumbling to the side. Selden's claws extended and he transformed into his wolf. I stumbled back a bit, but kept my ground. Dax was about to lunge at him, but I held my hand up for him to stop. It was a silent order he knew he couldn't ignore.

"Change back and give your human control again," I ordered. Selden's wolf just growled. I saw his beta and third in command come in. I held my hand out, making them stop by the door. "Now." I added, making sure my voice was filled with authority. Selden's wolf bowed and changed. Dax came to my side, blocking my view of Selden.

"Are you okay, love?" he asked, worry filling his voice.

"Yes, let me check on him," I said. He nodded but didn't move.

"He's changing," he stated gruffly. I nodded, my lips quirking at Dax's possessiveness. A few seconds later, Dax moved to the side. I quickly spotted Selden on a chair. His beta eyed me and bowed slightly.

"That was his first shift in a while," he said. I nodded, smiling slightly.

"That's good. It means my temporary treatment worked well," I said, moving toward a dazed Selden. "How are you feeling?" I asked him, checking his pulse.

"Tired," he croaked out.

"Any pain?" I asked.

"No," he replied softly.

"Good. Get some rest. I'll have your men take you to your room. I'll have food when you wake up," I told him. He nodded.

"Thank you," he told me. I smiled at him.

"No need," I said, kissing his cheek. His men helped him up and took him into the elevator right outside the door. I turned to Dax who walked toward me and wrapped his arms around me.

"I love you," he said, kissing my lips.

"Love you, too," I replied, wrapping my arms around his waist. I looked at the door as I sensed Selden's beta. He entered and bowed.

"Sorry to bother. Just wanted to thank you," he said. I smiled.

"No need," I said as he returned the gesture.

"Regardless, thank you, Princess. Let me know when I should take his food," he said. I shook my head.

"No need. I'll take it to him.  I need to check on him either way. I'll keep you posted. Sound good?" I said. He nodded and smiled.

"Thanks, Princess," he said.

"Alessa. I don't like being called that horrendous word," I half-joked. He chuckled and nodded.

"See you around, Alessa," he said. With that, he pivoted toward the door and left. Dax swept me off my feet.

"I shall now proceed to feed you three," he said, walking us out, closing the door behind him. He then took us to the kitchen.

--------------------------