Prologue

"It is time."

"How can we be sure, Aeglon?" Lord Imar asked. "For five hundred years we have waited. Still we are not strong enough - why now? How is this year different from so many others?"

Aeglon gazed at the sky. "There are signs, Imar; can you not see? There is a blue moon last night. It has always been Agarys's symbol. There is a change - a change in the air, a tremble down beneath the earth, a stirring deep in the waters. I can feel it."

The night was still. From the hidden tower among the mountains, they could see the stars shining like jewels in the dark sky. Aeglon remembered a night just like this one, five hundred years ago. It was a night of chaos and fate . . .

Tonight, the dragons awake, he thought.

Aeglon and Imar stood watching. The sky had begun to lighten, a blood-red glow spreading to take over the dark of night. The stars faded, but two still shone brightly, as if clinging to the heavens, unwilling to leave their posts.

"Yes," Aeglon murmured. "They awake. Imar, when they grow strong enough, I want you to send someone to bring them to me. I will see them."

The young lord stood silent for a moment. "It is a great risk for the Watchers. But very well!" he laughed at last. "Even King Slaryn dared not ignore your counsel, my old friend. You know best. It will be done."

Now all we have to do is wait . . .

"You plan to break the spell then?"

"We shall see. King Slaryn has best be on his guard." Aeglon turned and smiled. "For good or ill, the world will see dragonfire again before this century ends."

As they turned away to head down the stairs, the two stars burned ever brighter, filling the sky with a blinding white light.