Chapter Twenty-Two: Part Three

“Sir? We are going to pick up Hotaru-sama from work now?”

“Yes.”

“But you had decided that she should—“

“I’m changing my mind.”

Keita rose up to his feet without taking his gaze off of the phone. “We’re leaving immediately. She sounded urgent.”

“Hanabusa-sama, if you don’t mind me asking, why didn’t you wish to take her home earlier? Why are you deciding differently now?”

“Before, I didn’t think that she had to have me pick her up from work. If she wants to see me, I’ll come to her.”

“Sir, I think she called because she probably got attached to the way that you’d bring her home from work every night.”

Keita scoffed in reply.

But he couldn’t help but wonder what she would need him for. Did she have something to say? Did she want something?

If she wanted something, he had no choice but to go to her. It was probably something important to her. Whenever he yelled, he usually meant something urgent, too.

Keita walked behind Megane as he led him out the front doors and down the driveway. The sky was dark enough to be mistaken as black, and the air was still and unmoving. The few lights that lit the driveway gave them just enough light to be able to see where they were going and if they were going to run into something.

Megane held the door of the limousine open, and Keita stepped inside. He rested his cheek on his hand and waited for the car to start. When it did, he closed his eyes.

Did everyone hang around him just because he was Keitaru Hanabusa?

His servants were so respectful and willing to serve him. Was it because he was giving them money? Was it because he had money? Was it because they had to?

Why did all the girls that have confessed to him at school confess in the first place? Did they really like him? Or did they like his money? Or was it his looks?

There was even Megane. Did Megane only speak to him and serve him because he had to?

Even the girl that he used to love was one of those people. She noticed that she cared more about loving someone than Keita’s heritage or money or looks, and she ran away.

Was there anyone who spoke to him or approached him or was acquainted with him purely because they wanted to be?

The only person that came close enough to approaching them because they purely wanted to was that red-headed girl.

Keita wasn’t sure that he’d dive into the middle of the street and risk his own life for a stranger that he didn’t even know. He had never been placed under such a situation.

But he knew that that girl didn’t want to stay in the Hanabusa Household. He remembered her trying to run away from him. She probably didn’t care about his heritage, money, or looks either, and she was trying to run away from him, too.

Why?

Was it because there was nothing left worth liking about him besides those things? Were heritage and money and looks all he had? If someone didn’t care about any of those things, they wouldn’t care about him at all, would they?

That girl probably thought those things. She lived in a poor environment, and she didn’t look like she cared about having lots of money at all! She didn’t look like the kind of person to care about looks either. She probably didn’t know a thing about heritage.