Chapter Nine

It was several days before Violet finally saw Trevor. She wasn't sure if that was a good sign or not but when he did finally show up he seemed to be in a fair mood. He'd come to see her in the middle of the week after work. Violet was surprised because she thought he must have gone home first to shower and get changed because he was much tidier than he usually was when he came to see her after work.

Iris had warned her about the cast on his fingers so she hadn't been surprised to find him injured. She'd received her dress back from the shop she'd taken it to to get it repaired and was still in her Doll uniform when he arrived. She hadn't expected him to wait so long to come and visit her and she'd become a little nervous over the past few days that he may not come to see her anymore. Wrestling with nervousness was not comfortable. When she'd met him in the lobby she'd bowed her head slightly and he'd done the same before he finally spoke up.

"Iris told me you needed a little bit of space for a few days so I tried to not disturb you," he smirked and Violet felt some of the nervousness leave her body. Not all of it though. She still had to tell him the truth. It had been eating away at her for days now.

"Yes I...I would like to talk to you about what Iris said actually," she began and gestured toward the staircase. "Would you mind if we talked privately?"

"Not at all," he blinked in surprise. She led him up the stairs and past empty conference rooms before they went up another flight of stairs. "Where did you have in mind?"

"My room," she said flatly and Trevor had to stifle a small gasp.

"Alright," he said and shoved his hands into his pockets. When they arrived at Violet's door he waited for her to let him inside.

"Please sit," she suggested and motioned to the chair at her desk. She, in turn, took a seat on the edge of her mattress and the pair faced each other.

"So what's going on?" He asked and Violet took a moment to study him. She hadn't seen him in a week and somehow, she felt relieved just to be looking at him. His tan pants and black button-up shirt were a mainstay now, along with his combat boots.

"The other day I...I did not overwork myself."

"Oh..." he asked quietly. "So...were you...did you want to avoid me?" He asked softly and he saw her hands tighten.

"No, not at all," she shook her head. "I did need to rest, but that was not the reason..."

"Oh okay," he sighed in relief. "Well...can I ask what the real reason was?"

"Of course but..." she began quickly before she paused to collect herself. "I do not want you to...feel sorry for me or to pity me for it...please," she begged him quietly as her vision remained fixed on his boots.

"I'll...do my best Violet," he worriedly breathed. "I can't promise that though..."

Violet nodded her head slightly. "I understand. The other day when I...was walking home I saw some young boys playing in the street...they were pretending to be soldiers...at war," she said and Trevor squinted and cocked his head to one side.

"Okay," he breathed.

"I...had what is...called a post-traumatic stress attack," she said softly and Trevor's eyes opened back wide and she saw his fingers extend slightly toward her. She looked up into his face and she could see it written all over it. Worry. She hadn't wanted that reaction but she had expected it. She couldn't really expect him to not react this way. "I saw...real soldiers and real weapons and I...became overwhelmed and fainted."

"Violet are..." he began but grit his teeth and tried to hold in the rest of his question and she saw as his fingers flexed and balled into fists on his thighs. "Are you okay?"