Nine

Loving Loki was the easiest thing Aspen had ever done. Sure, he was a pain in the ass and made her want to pull her hair out, but she wouldn't have him any other way. The God of Mischief and Lies was never meant to be easy as a person. But, loving him was a whole 'nother thing. 

At first, things between them were a bit awkward after their first confession. They weren't sure how to go from business partners to lovers. But, they slowly eased into it. It started with them just holding hands. Just that. Slowly they figured out their niche together and they were full of PDA before the Avengers even knew what was happening between them. They never fully said that they were together, or ever said things were official, it just happened and the world knew before they knew what they were doing. 

It slowly became where Loki couldn't watch a movie without holding Aspen in his arms, or Aspen unable to sleep properly without him next to her, and going outside wasn't an option alone. It was ridiculous and everyone made ridiculous fun of them, but they wouldn't have it any other way. 

It was a couple years into their relationship when Aspen awoke alone. That alone freaked her out, and the fact that Loki's side was stone cold just made it worse. He hadn't just left to go get a cup of coffee for his morning novel like he sometimes did. No, he was well and truly gone. She didn't hesitate to stand and put some clothes on to go and find her lost boyfriend.

When she emerged from their room, she was greeted with an egregious amount of breakfast laid out on their coffee table. The whole spread looked oddly familiar, but they ate nearly everything at least once a week. Aspen ignored the breakfast and poked her head into the workshop lab, an ANA-Droid waving at her. She returned the gesture, but left quickly after still no sign of Loki.

"Okay, ANA, where is Loki?" she asked aloud, making her way toward the elevator. 

"He is not in the building and has asked to be undisturbed," ANA replied, calm and stoic as always.

"Fuck that, ANA. Come on, you gotta give me something," Aspen practically pled. She was starting to freak out a little bit. 

"Just eat your breakfast, Aspen," was all she got for her efforts. 

Aspen huffed and made a rather impolite gesture in the vague direction of one of ANA's cameras. 

She eventually gave up on throwing her fit and plopped herself onto the well-worn couch cushion, gazing over the spread among her. Somehow it was still piping hot, probably one of Loki's many tricks. "Wait-" she muttered, plucking a piece of paper sticking out between the salt and pepper shakers. 

She opened it carefully, seeing her name written in Loki's beautiful handwriting.  

"My most darling Pen. 

First, please relax and calm. I have a few things I must take care of this morning and did not want to wake you. I ensured you have a nice breakfast awaiting you, and when you finish please find Lady Romanoff as she has a few things for you to do. I will see you later today. I promise I am okay. 

Love forever - Loki."

Aspen huffed and rubbed her hands on her sweatpants, trying to shake her nerves. He was fine. She has nothing to worry about. Then, why was she freaking out? God, she has an unhealthy attachment to him. She always knew, but it was really bugging her now. She hastily piled pancakes and a few sausage links onto a plate waiting for her and ate rather quickly. She even sipped on some orange juice, avoiding the coffee. Her nerves were already shot, she didn't need anything making it worse.

"ANA where is Nat?" she asked after she finished, the breakfast vanishing itself as if it knew she was done. 

"She is on her floor. She is welcoming visitors," ANA replied, the elevator dinging already.