Part 4

He dreaded to say it but he had to ask. Before he could stop the words from tumbling from his mouth he asked, "Where's Granger?" The looks of sorrow told him enough. "Oh. Oh." He realized with a sinking feeling that not all of them had survived the bombs.

"He- he was trying to save you." Hiccuped a small voice from the back of the crowd. Everyone parted to let a petite figure through. She looked about 30, and she was crying, yet looking up at him with a fierce expression. She had auburn hair that seemed shoulder length and fiery brown eyes. "He saved you. I saw it happen. He leaped out, grabbed you, and threw you! He threw you away from the crushing bomb, and he took the damage." At this, she smiled softly, sadly. "So did I." She said tenderly as she turned toward him. He gasped as he saw her in full detail. Her right side was battered and bruised, and her leg was a mangled, bloody, mess. She smiled wanly at him, and he broke.

He sunk back into the pit of despair he had worked so hard to claw his way out of. Voices drifted in and out of his consciousness, crying his name, shaking him, slapping him, and calling him over and over. But they were too late. He dimly realized he wouldn't be coming back. Why couldn't they accept that? Resistance was futile. He felt himself slowly slip from the grasps of life and to a new one, one where the smiling faces of Clarisse, Faber, and Granger all welcomed him with open arms.

The End