Chapter 1: Where's Natsu?

Gray's P.O.V

It was around mid-July and I was looking for something to do. I was going to ask the team if they wanted to go on a mission but I haven't seen Natsu anywhere. Where could that annoying pyro be? I walk up to our usual table and sit next to Erza. Her, Lucy, Elfman, Loke, Wendy, and Cana were playing a game of cards. I look over at Wendy's hand and play a card for her, she looks up and smiles at me. "Thanks Gray. I was so confused." Carla flies over and scolds the little girl for "relying on others too much." I roll my eyes playfully.

"You seemed like you needed some help." I nod at her and sit back down. I watch them play for a while until my mind goes back to Natsu. Where is he? He's been acting strange for a few days, maybe he's sick? No, Natsu never gets sick. Is he still asleep? I look at my watch, checking the time. No way, it's 4 in the afternoon. So where is he? I look over at Lucy. She has to know, her and Natsu are nearly inseparable. "Hey Luce?"

Her head shot up and she looked at me. "Hmm?' Loke had his arms wrapped around her shoulders and his chin resting on her head. They've been dating for a little over a year now so it's nothing new for them to be like this. It's weird how loyal he is to her when all he was in the past was a playboy, trying to get in any girl's pants he could. I guess it's good that he got his shit together for her. I shook my head trying to get back on track.

"Where's that fire breathing idiot? I haven't seen him all day. Is he sick?" I asked nonchalantly while I acted like I was paying attention to the game.

Lucy laughed and smiled at Erza. The red head shook her head and a small grin spread across her lips. "Is Gray, the ice cold, no feelings, rival to Natsu, worried about him?"

I growled and scoffed, helping Wendy again. "No. I was just curious."

Wendy's eyes followed me. "You mean you don't know what time it is?

I looked at her. "Should I?'

"You have been friends with Natsu and Laxus for years, how have you not found out? You have known Gajeel for a little bit too! Has no one told you?" The sky dragon slayer spoke, surprised.

Cana sighed. "He doesn't know Wendy because every year since he got here, he goes up North for a week to visit his family's graves and see his old town even though it's just a bunch of rubble and snow." She looked down at her hand then looked up at me in confusion. "Why aren't you gone already, you usually leave around noon, don't you?"

I start pulling on my fingers, nervously then looking up, my eyes brimming with tears. "I can't go this year. They are moving their graves to a cemetery up in the mountains and tearing down the town to build a new one."

Wendy's eyes widened at seeing me cry. I don't usually show my emotions around anyone so this is a first for her. "I'm so sorry, Gray. That's terrible." She looks down. "I know what that's like. Cait Shelter was like my family and watching them vanish before my eyes made me so sad. If ever you need a hug, I'm here for you." She smiled warmly at me.

We all sat in a comfortable silence until I coughed and wiped my eyes. "So where's that squinty eyed disaster?"

"Its mating season, Gray." Erza blurted out.

"Mating season?'

"It's a week out of the year that all the dragon slayers try to find partners to mate with. It can be very dangerous for humans or other dragon slayers so they hold themselves up at home for the whole week so keep themselves under control."

I make an "o" shape with my mouth then look around. "Then why is Gajeel still here?"

"Well he's already mated. Have you seen that mark on Levy's neck?"