Chapter 5-Revised

This is a duo chapter that basically twists both our chapters into one.

Kat's POV

-In Bee and Straub's apartment-

"D'you think she'll like me?" I worry to Straub. We are still awaiting Bee's arrival. My mother is still passed on on the floor, Peckett circling her worriedly like a puppy. Minx is trying to coax Anna from under the recliner, and Kit is playing Minecraft on Straub's computer. Uhh- I mean- some weird cube-y game, that I don't know the name of.

Bee bursts into the room.

She surveys the scene, then her eyes land on my excited face.

"Hi Bee!" I say, forcing a smile through my worried-terror.

She smiles. "Hi." She says. I literally almost squeal.

"Uhh, Peckett? A word, please?" She says, her eyes hovering on my brother's face. Suddenly all clicks into place. I thought Peckett looked familiar. Turns out I'm related to him... go figure.

They walk out the door, and I catch a glimpse of a Paramedic.

I hear muffled muttering through the door, and after many a long minute, my brother and Bee enter the living room again.

My brother makes his way over to my mother through the pillows. He kneels beside her, and tries to pick her up. Bee comes around the other side, quite uncomfortably, and together they hoist her up and out the door.
What's happening?

My heart begins to race, my pulse quickening, adrenaline rushing through my veins.

I hop up from the couch and head out the door, and the Paramedic, Emma, says nothing. She let's me pass with a sad look on her face.
Okay. Something really bad is happening.

I never get those pity looks. I don't like it.

I watch Bee and 'Peckett' struggle down the stairs, trying to carry my mother on a stretcher down a spiral staircase.

Minx hurries out the door, and Straub and Kit soon follow.

I cling onto Minx's elbow.

"What's going on?" I ask her.

"I don't know. It seems to me that Peckett-told-Bee-and-Straub-about-your-mother's-illnesses-so-that-when-she-moved-in-they-would-be-prepared-and-maybe-Bee-called-the-paramedics-because-of-the-fire-and-how-she's-still-unconscious." Minx says in one breath. She sees the expression on my face. "Just a guess." She adds.

I stare at her for awhile, then shake my head and start down the stairs. I clamber into Minx's unlocked car and look ahead at the back of the front seat.

The paramedics take off beside us, with Bee, Peckett, and my mom locked up tight inside it. I thought there could only be one other person in the car, but I guess not. Maybe they made an exception.

Minx climbs into the driver's seat, Straub in the passenger's, and Kit next to me. We take off for the hospital, trailing the ambulance.

-At the hospital-

I fiddle my thumbs in the emergency room, twirling them around and around each other, waiting for the news. I glance at Straub, playing something on his iPhone, and Minx, probably texting my brother or surfing the internet for new recipes; she's a great housewife, but not really one for games. Kit is staring out the window, thinking. I bet she's thinking about basketball. I bet she's wondering about what the team is doing without her at this moment, she was the best on her team, and today's the day they usually have games.

"Whatcha thinkin' about?" I ask her.

"Sydney." She says offhandedly.

"What about it?" I ask her, pursuing.

"Basketball." She says, looking at me now.

See? It's like some sort of twin-sense.

A nurse comes bustling in.

"Uhh... Minx? Minx Stewart?" She asks. Minx looks at me. She looks at the nurse and gets up. She begins talking in a hushed whisper to the nurse. She points at me and Kit. The nurse nods. Minx waves her hand in the air to follow her, and we do. The chair creak under our sudden rising, and I flinch.

We are led down a long, white hall and finally, at room 109, we enter. My mother is sitting there, tubes sticking out of her wrist, a heart monitor working properly, her heart beat remaining consistent.
Oh, thank God.

But her face is a sickly white, and she still remains unconscious. It looks like my brother has been crying, and Bee gives me another one of those stupid pity looks.
I don't need your pity!

But the nurse comes up to me, her head reaching my eyes. I look down at her.

She takes in a deep breath.

"Kit, Kat. I need to tell you something."

Her eyes search Kit and my eyes, looking for something that obviously isn't there. She breathes in again.
Oh yes. Something really bad is happening.

Ooh! Cliff hanger! So Em basically took care of our situation and just merged our two chapters into one. -Nat