Dispholidus.

Chapter 11. Dispholidus - The Carriage from Hell

Edited January 2024

Tom was looking at her and then turning his head away. He did this several times. Looking at her from under his lashes, his green irises seemed to shine with reflected light that came into the tent entrance and which graced his face. He looked at her again, this time taking longer, taking in and considering every detail he could.

Her figure was silhouetted against the glare, the edge of her shape shining in the sun, her hair turning a strange shade of brown and honey in the light, her cheeks pink from the sun and the few freckles on the tip of her nose. Her lips were also pink and not with lipstick, Granger looked like a girl who seldom wore makeup and only dared when absolutely necessary. It was the sun and wind that gave her a healthy, natural look and color. She had long straight lashes and deep, almost, feline eyes with a color that could turn a vibrant caramel when the light touched them or become as dark as the rich brown of a tree trunk in its absence.

Why did he notice all this? Because he thought she was beautiful and he didn't know how much it affected him. Tom is not taking it too seriously, he can consider and appreciate what he thinks is beautiful or ugly, which appeals to him, however, he is also able to ignore this if it does not benefit him. He just thinks that she has a natural beauty that can be considered unsophisticated and quite different from the cosmopolitan standard of beauty that frequents Slytherin House.

Granger was in an armchair, her legs tucked aside, while she rested her chin against her fisted hand with her elbow resting on the armrest. A muggle book was on her lap and she was concentrating on reading. Her hair was tied up in a side ponytail with a few loose strands. Such uncontrollable hair, he thought.

Tom put the book he was reading aside and rose from the couch, putting his hands in his trouser pockets.

"We need to go back to the orphanage to collect my things. We will be returning to Hogwarts soon." He spoke, his face expressionless.

Hermione paid close attention to what he was saying. His tone of voice was demanding, a kind of order and his face was a stoic mask, not revealing whether he had any expectations from her. It was only then that Hermione understood a little more about him. He needed his belongings for the return to Hogwarts, that trunk is in the orphanage - obviously - and he doesn't know how to Apparate. That is, he needs her help but he doesn't want to ask directly. The way he spoke was nothing more than him trying to corner her in a way that he didn't need to ask for something. It's like he doesn't know how to ask or if he does then it's not something he can do with people who know his real 'self', his true persona.

He definitely looks like a spoiled child, very petulant indeed. The situation would be comical if it were not tragic. However, Hermione expects nothing less from him.

"Okay." She replies, watching his expression become serene.

She didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing, because one can never tell with him. He could strangle someone whilst smiling lovingly into their eyes. However, she considers them to be on relatively "good terms". No, no, good terms is too much. Perhaps the right words are 'living together peacefully for now'. This is more appropriate.

She doesn't know how long this peace between them will last and she is 100% sure that they will be in conflict again at some point, she just hopes that this period of peace will be long enough for her and Harry to leave without causing too much confusion. Hermione also wonders to herself whether young Riddle will meet Harry and, if so, how he will behave. She already has a sense of how Harry will respond, but Riddle, he can be a box full of surprises - many of them unpleasant. She also ponders if this possible encounter between the two will fuel the young Dark Lord's obsession.