Part 17

Epilogue

 John sat in an comfortable rocker watching a terrible kid's show called, Blue's Clues.  In it, a "detective" named Steve and a two-dimensional dog named Blue, solved puzzles using blue paw prints.  Tommy, who had just turned six,  loved this show.  John hated it.  What kind of observational skills were children expected to learn when they gave away the answers to the puzzles and put a great big paw print on everything you were supposed to notice?  Tommy shouted along with the studio audience. 

     "Right," John said and pushed the off switch on the remote control.  "We are going out, Tom, my boy."

     Tommy looked around at him pouting.  The action reminded him so much of Sherlock that he smiled at the memory.  But, that's my favorite show, John."

    "Nope. No more of this hopeless drivel.  I am going to teach you how to solve a puzzle the right way."

     Tommy looked up hopefully at that.  "What puzzle, John?" he asked and John saw so much of his mother looking out from his blue eyes it warmed his heart.

     "Yes, what puzzle?" Tara came into the living room drying her hands on a dishtowel.  And, since you've turned off his entertainment, you'll have to play with him while I finish doing dishes."

     John smiled.  "I'd love to.  In fact," he turned back to Tommy.   "I heard your friend Connor has lost his favorite Batman action figure.  Why don't we invite him to come over and let's get to the bottom of this mystery?"  He picked up Tommy and tucked him under his arm like an old duffle bag and carried him outside.  Tommy giggled the entire time. 

     Connor lived two houses down and John set the boy down gently.  "Lead the way, Tom."  John grinned as the little blond boy rushed off to see if his friend could come out to play.  John followed along after.

     He'd been back in the states for two months under his assumed identity of Jonathan Tennant.  Tara, none the wiser, accepted him back with open arms.  In fact she and Tommy had met him at the airport when he arrived back with smiles, hugs and gifts.  Tommy had drawn him several pictures, all of them of the three of them holding hands, and had even made him a Lego version of a Transformer. 

     As Sherlock assumed he would, Mycroft cut him loose.  He'd unlocked John's cuffs and told him to leave the country.  One of the agents handed him five thousand pounds in cash and his wallet.  He'd called Tara and she'd sent him his fake passport.  She'd been so happy to hear from him she'd wept when she heard his voice

      She'd been worried almost non-stop since they'd taken him away.  He had to admit, he'd felt a perfect warmth at her reaction.  He half suspected she might have moved on already and forgotten him.  She hadn't and John wanted nothing more than to fold himself back into her arms.  He wanted to hug Tommy and play endless Legos with him.

     Apparently, Sherlock's body had been sent into the crematorium prematurely through some epic mix up.  Molly Hooper apologized profoundly and said she thought he'd been explicit about his wishes after death.  Mycroft was furious and called for her immediate termination.  But, through some miracle, she kept her job. 

    They held a memorial service for an urn full of ashes.  Mycroft and Sherlock's parents attended as did Mrs. Hudson and John. They'd all stood around the sad little urn.  Mycroft's red rimmed eyes and blank expression suggested he had almost no life left in him at all.  His brother's death had taken everything away from him. He couldn't even exact revenge against Moriarty as they never recovered his body.

      John didn't see any other family or friends.  What a shame, John thought, he'd helped so many people and this is how he'd been remembered by them.  His passport arrived and he boarded the plane back to the States with only the briefest tug of remorse because he knew a secret.  Sherlock wasn't dead.

     At the airport, John picked up his small carry-on bag and made his way to the boarding line.  He turned to give London Heathrow Airport one last look before he left it.  If he had his way, he wouldn't be back for a long time.  As he did, he saw a tall figure duck behind a pillar just a bit too late.  The distinctive curls were gone and pair of sunglasses tried to hide the Verdi-green eyes, but John knew exactly who had come to see him off.  Fine, as long as man didn't try to stop him or worse get on the plane with him, he would just pretend he didn't see him.   

    John got on the plane.  

Series continued in the stories "Daylight" and "Lessons Learned".