Day 3: Cuddle

(Kanao's perspective)

What if you've said too much, she thought. But it didn't matter to her, at least not in the moment. He listened to her intently, like how a child listens to a folklore. Then he told her of his family, how they died at the hands of a demon. And how he wanted so badly to return his sister back to a human. Kanao felt so vulnerable at that moment. But safe. The safest she've felt in a long time. Gusts of wind blew over them. And despite Tanjirou's haori now draped across her shoulders, she still shivered. Tanjirou, noticing this, pulled her close all of a sudden.

"Kanao! You'll catch a cold, come here, I'll keep you warm."

He said that so casually. Kanao could feel her cheeks burning up. But it was the first time she felt truly warm. He was so warm. And before she knew it she had melted in his arms. Kanao didn't realise how tired her body was until then.

(Tanjirou's perspective)

That night Tanjirou had learned a lot about Kanao. More than he thought he could ever have. He could sense it in her. She was tired, disconnected. Like something had snapped inside her a long time ago and never got back. Having a childhood like that, having her sisters dying. Tanjirou wanted to hold her, comfort her and tell her it was all right. In that moment, all he wanted to do was protect her. No, he wanted to see her smile.

"I FEEL LIKE I COULD DIE!" Zenitsu suddenly screamed.

"Zenitsu! Get up! You can do it!" Tanjirou tried his best to cheer him on.

"Stop whining! You're weak! Fight me!!" Inosuke suddenly started running around in circles.

"BOYS!"

We all ceased action at the sound of Aoi's stern voice.

"You will be discharged soon and I want to see those gourds broken by the time you leave."

"Yes ma'am!"

And so the boys got to work. After this they still had speed training with Kanao. Tanjirou still couldn't manage to beat her in the cups. He was always the one who got drenched. It was lightly frustrating, but it only fired him up more. Kanao was so strong, stronger than all of them. But she was so graceful and elegant it put Tanjirou in awe.
Kanao was waiting for them by the time they got back. He was determined to beat her!
Tanjirou focused, truly hard. He put everything he's got into it. When their hands touched a few times, he could feel Kanao's speed stutter. He finally bested her and snatched a cup before she did, but somehow, couldn't bring himself to splash her. Was she always this pretty? So instead, he plonked it gently atop her head.
Then proceeded to do a victory dance along with Sumi, Kiyo and Naho who had assisted him with his side training. Kanao gave him a gentle smile.

"Well done Tanjirou."

He felt his heart flutter slightly and he felt weirdly warm. That smile, he wanted to see more.