Day 6: Kiss

(Kanao's perspective)

A single gold coin. Kanao twirled it in her hand, stroking the surface with her thumb. This coin. She used it for everything. To decide on things, big or small. She used it to decide whether or not she should go for the Selection. She used it whether or not she should eat, even if she was starving. But she stopped using it. Shinobu nee san always said she didn't want to see that coin deciding her life for her. Her last message to her before she died was the same.
Ever since then, Kanao tried. She really did. She had to step up to care for the younger residents. And so, she did. Smiling as she did so. Kanao thought, this is how I'm going to be for the rest of my life.
Until Tanjirou came in, and changed her wholly.

(Tanjirou's perspective)

I found it! Tanjirou had started cleaning up their rooms, preparing to leave tomorrow, when he stumbled on Kanao's hair clip. She lost it yesterday didn't she? He picked it up gingerly, examining the delicate ornament. Just the thought of her made him smile involuntarily.

"Kanao!!" he called out, a little bit breathless as he saw her walking out in the courtyard.

"Tanjirou, what brings you here," she smiled.

Tanjirou's eyes sparkled. It was a different kind of smile. In contrast to her usual serene smile that was hiding things, this smile radiated delight

"Oh! I, uh...I found your clip!"

"Ah, that's good news! The hair in my eyes whenever I'm training is starting to get annoying," she smiled as she tucked her hair behind her ears.

"Can I tie your hair for you?" Tanjirou said, on impulse.

Kanao looked taken aback by this. And Tanjirou began to regret it. Was it a weird thing to ask? He spent his childhood braiding his two sisters' hair when their mother was too tired to entertain them.

"Of course you can," she smiled again, this time with a hint of a blush.

She led him to the veranda, and handed him a brush.

"Surprise me," she sat, while laughing a little.

Tanjirou was determined to put all his years of training from his sisters into this moment. Kanao's hair was silky soft. It didn't even need brushing. His heart was racing as he did so. But he found it whole-heartedly enjoyable. He donned her a simple, but elegant braid Nezuko always liked whenever they went down to town. Then he secured the end with the clip.

"Tanjirou! It's so beautiful! I love it," she smiled widely while admiring it from the mirror.

His heart swelled up, looking at this girl, so entranced by the simple things. In that moment he was so happy, seeing her like this for the first time.

(Kanao's perspective)

Tanjirou has done so much for me in the short period of time he was here. And yet what have I given him? Kanao pondered on this after Tanjirou had gone off to his last training session. The boys were going to be discharged tomorrow morning.
A keen sorrow filled her. I wonder when I'll see him again.
She wanted him to bring a piece of her with him. She wanted him to stay, but as a fellow demon slayer she knew that it was an impossible dream. Oh! She had an idea. Would it be weird though? No time for doubts. When he's gone, she could only regret. Time was something she never had enough of. This time was no different. But at the very least, she wanted to take a part of her with him.

(Tanjirou's perspective)

A single gold coin.

"Please take this with you!" Kanao's face was flushed, and she trembled slightly.

"You..you've done so much for me. I wanted to give you something to remind you of me. Please take this with you!" Kanao bowed with the hand holding her coin oustretched. Her braid fell to cover one side of her face.

Tanjirou smiled. She really did change, huh? No matter how badly he wanted to stay, he knew he couldnt. He took the coin.

"I want you to take a reminder of my painful past and make me remember that coin in a new light. Now when I think of it, I'll think of you."

Tanjirou blushed. He was extremely moved by this.

"I'll take this wherever I go. After all, you're my lucky charm, Kanao."

He took a step towards her and straightened her up from her bow. It was a split second thought. His heart was beating so hard. Who knows when I'll see her again?
He tugged her gently into a hold, his eyes stared deep into hers. Tanjirou could practically feel his erratic heartbeat in his ears. This embrace, it almost felt like a spell. He placed a loving kiss on her forehead, his lips lingering. Kanao's eyes widened at this.

(Kanao's perspective)

Her heart and mind was all over the place. So, this is love? She felt like she was going crazy. Still in a daze, she reached up to kiss him on the lips. It was just a whisper of a kiss. Tanjirou had a blush painted across his cheeks, but he had a soft smile. He then pulled her into a tight embrace. Kanao loved everything about him. He always made her feel a certain way. Up until now, words failed to describe the way she was feeling around him. He was special, he made her feel special.
Time, could you please stop? Just for this moment, I want it to last forever.

Author chan's notes💮
Welcome to day 6!! I can't believe I've gotten this far. Thank you so much for the people who've read this, it truly means a lot. Tomorrow is the final day and I can't wait to wrap it up with the last chapter! Hint: another project is on the way uwu.

-Sparkles