twenty three

chapter twenty three

C H R I S T M A S

CHRISTMAS WAS NOT ONE OF BILLY'S FAVORITE HOLIDAYS. IN FACT, BILLY HATED CHRISTMAS.

The holiday was all about spending time with family, gleefully exchanging presents and spreading cheer to your loved ones. Billy found it incredibly difficult to enjoy the holiday seeing as he was void of any cheer and he also despised every member of his family.

A frustrated grumble escaped Billy's pursed lips after hearing Maxine's voice from the passenger's side of his car. "Do you have any idea what you're getting Jackie for Christmas?" she questioned, raising her voice slightly to be heard over Billy's music.

Billy remained silent, choosing to ignore Maxine's question. He had no patience for conversation at that moment in time. Especially not with Maxine. What little patience Billy possessed had fled when Neil barged into his room, roughly demanding that he take Maxine to go Christmas shopping for her friends.

"Hello–" the lilting voice of Maxine sliced through the music that played through Billy's car radio. "Don't tell me you didn't plan on getting her anything," the redhead deadpanned.

Billy's eyes rolled for a brief moment, once again opting for silent response. Trying to distract himself from the conversation Max was attempting to strike up, Billy reached forward, twisting the volume button to the right. The sound of heavy metal poured into the car.

Maxine took this as confirmation of her own suspicion that Billy hadn't planned on getting Jackie anything for Christmas.

A loud laugh slipped from Maxine's lips as she shook her head at her step-brother. "You're a horrible boyfriend," said Max as she continued to giggle. "I can't believe you're not giving Jackie a gift for Christmas."

Billy rolled his eyes, his heart rate beginning to increase as Maxine pestered him. "Not that it's any of your business but, Jackie and I both agreed that we're not doing gifts this year."

At this, Max rolled her eyes. "I'd be willing to bet anything that Jackie's going to get you a present anyway."

"Did you not hear what I just said?" questioned Billy. "I said we both agreed to this no-gift arrangement."

Maxine scoffed. "Oh, please. For a guy who's been with a hundred women, you still know so little about us."

The young girl continued with certainty, "Because Jackie likes you, she's gonna want to get you a gift for Christmas. She probably agreed to your no-gift arrangement only so that you didn't feel like you had to buy her something."