Christmas Spirit

My Christmas spirit began to sag as Wizzard's 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday' piped up, blaring through the speakers and causing my jaw to tighten. It wasn't quite lunchtime yet but I must have heard that bloody song half a dozen times already that day, tugging at my thoroughly worn out Christmas spirit.

It was 1st December, the time when most people were starting to feel those first festive stirrings but I'd been surrounded by glittery baubles, shimmery tinsel and singing Santas since September. But that was the downfall of working at The Housing Warehouse. For eight months of the year, I worked in the Bedroom Department (which was ironic, considering the horrendous luck I'd had in that department over the years. My love life was not something to be proud of), but from September to December I was transferred to the Christmas Department to dress as an elf and emit constant cheer.

It wasn't that I disliked my job. I enjoyed working there, working alongside my colleagues and interacting with the customers and I loved Christmas, but all those weeks in The Housing Warehouse's Winter Wonderland were taking their toll and it felt like I was drowning in tinsel.

'He's put a great big smile on somebody's face!' Fellow Winter Wonderland employee Kat was not suffering from my Grinch-like grumpiness as she sang along. She was sporting a pair of felt antlers with bells that jingled with each step as she passed.

'You're in a good mood.' I was glad that at least somebody was full of cheer.

Kat jingled to a halt and turned to face me with a wide grin on her berry-red lips. 'You'd be in a good mood too if you'd just met the man of your dreams.'

'Ooh, tell me more.' I scurried down from the ladder where I'd been restocking pink glittery stars.

'Well.' Kat took a deep breath and paused for maximum effect. 'He's tall with blond hair and amazing blue eyes. I'm sure he was undressing me with them, the naughty boy.' She giggled, setting off another round of jingles.

'So? What happened? What did he say to you?'

Kat's smile faltered and she scrunched up her nose, folding her arms across her chest. 'Nothing. Marie marched over and told me to get back on the tills before he had the chance to sweep me off my feet.'

'Never mind.' I reached out to give Kat's arm a squeeze. 'Maybe he'll buy something and you'll get the chance to chat at the counter.'

'Yes! You're right. See you later.' Kat gave a little wave before jingling on her way.

I climbed back up the ladder, somewhat cheered by Kat's enthusiasm, and resumed looping the decorations onto the stand. I found myself humming along to the music as I finished with the glittery pink stars and moved onto the glittery purple stars.

'Nice view.'

Gripping hold of the ladder's frame, I turned around, face contorted in preparation for the mouthful I was about to bestow upon the rude customer below. But my reprimand was frozen in my throat when I was met by the mischievous blue eyes and cheeky grin of an old friend.

'Will!' Jumping down the ladder, I threw myself into his arms, which were a lot stronger than they'd been the last time we'd hugged. Will was broader now, with the beginnings of laughter lines around his eyes, but he was still as handsome as ever.

'I was hoping to find you here.' Will squeezed the life out of me as he twirled us in a full circle.

I laughed. 'You mean you hoped I hadn't got a life and moved on from the job I'd had at eighteen?'

Will and I had met at The Housing Warehouse as teenagers, working in the Christmas Department part-time while at college. Will had moved on to university while I accepted a full-time position in the Bedroom Department but he had still worked there every Christmas during the holidays. Once upon a time we'd sort-of fancied each other but there had always been obstacles in the way, mostly my boyfriend-at-the-time and Will's fiancée-and-now-wife. But we'd remained friends until Will graduated and moved away to start a new married life with Kelly. It had been ten years since we'd last seen each other and, embarrassingly, I was still stuck in the same place.