One

"Thalia.  Hey, Thalia."  Those words snapped back into the present.  I was sitting on the floor, waiting for my queen.  As the queen's handmaiden, it was my job to help her as best I could and to be available at all times.

I looked up and realized the voice had come from the queen.  She was watching me with an affectionate smile and shook her head.

"What am I going to do with you?" she spoke playfully.  "You always are zoning off during waiting periods.  I wonder often what you are thinking, so why won't you tell me?  Maybe today is the day, where did your mind travel to?"

I sighed, but wasn't annoyed, "If you really want to know, Marie, I'll tell you tonight, after your event."  Because we were alone in her quarters, I spoke informally, causing her to smile.

"Yes, I would love that.  Even though I am now the queen, you are my best friend and confidant.  I want to still be yours too.  What's the use of a one sided relationship?  I will hold you to your words and expect a story tonight."  She spoke with a smirk then changed the topic.  "Can you help me with these clothes?  This dress is murder and I can't figure out how to clasp it."

"Of course."  I stood up and walked over, ready to do battle with the dress.  Marie was facing the mirror and I couldn't help but notice how beautiful she was.  Her long, brown hair framed her face and fell in the back.  As you looked into her eyes, they shone and subtly changed color from whichever angle you stood.  Her pale skin glowed softly, giving her an air of other worldliness.  She had a petite nose and a red, heart shaped mouth.  It was no mystery why the king had chosen her to be his bride.

I clasped and tied the dress from behind, then helped arrange the fabric, so that it laid correctly.  The result was Marie looking like a goddess.

"How do I look?" she asked, seeming a bit uncomfortable.

"You look almost as beautiful as Aphrodite herself."  In my opinion, she was more lovely than the goddess, but I did not want to offend her and set her wrath upon my queen.

I could tell she didn't believe it entirely, but Marie relaxed at my words.  This caused me to think back to before she became the queen and we were living in the city.  Marie and I had been inseparable, always telling each other everything.  She was always insecure about herself, but lately, being in the public eye had worsened it.  I wish I could make her doubts go away, but I wasn't sure how.

"Thalia.  You are zoning out again.  You really must tell me what you were thinking of tonight, okay?"  Marie once again snapped me out of my thoughts, looking worried.

"Yes of course, my queen," the title caused her to wince and I felt bad.  The name was becoming a habit because we were rarely alone anymore.  "I'm sorry Marie, it's almost instinct and I didn't me-,"

I was cut off short by the door opening and a guard stepping in.  It was my friend Jason and he paused when he saw Marie.  He couldn't keep from staring at her until I cleared my throat, gaining his attention.

"Ah, yes.  Forgive me, your majesty."  He bowed then looked back up at us, "The king has requested your presence as the celebration is about to begin."

Marie glanced at me then straightened her back and walked out the door.  I followed and closed the door after me.  A group of guards were waiting for us, and the queen was escorted to the event, with me in her wake.