6: The Next Day

AN: Again, I remind readers who read the previous 5 chapters before Nov. 26th, 2014, to go back and reread. I know it's annoying, but I made a lot of changes and additions.

All respectful comments are appreciated.

Chapter Six (Griffin POV)

The hammering agony in my head swiftly pulls me out of sleep. I open my heavy lids to piercing sunlight, which intensifies the pain tenfold.

"Griffin, are you up? School starts in twenty minutes!" Dads calls upstairs.

Disbelieving, I snatch my phone off my nightstand and unlock it. Sure enough, I didn't set my alarm last night.

"Give me fifteen minutes!" I call back. Barely a second after the words leave my mouth does a horrific torrent of nausea develop in my stomach.

I tumble out of bed and make a beeline for the toilet in a stumbling run. After hurling stomach acid and something distinctly strong into the toilet bowl, I slump back against the wall and breathe deeply. My head rushes so painfully I can barely think.

Well, this is pretty much a textbook hangover, that I can grasp. I don't even remember coming home last night. I was at the party... and then what? The last thing I can remember is my run-in with Drew.

I force myself to my feet and suddenly realize I slept in a damp bathing suit and somebody else's t shirt last night. Cringing, I peel everything off and hop into the steaming rush of the shower. My head still hasn't stopped pounding, but the hot water eases some soreness.

After showering rapid-fire and toweling off, I put on undies and a bandeau and pick out the first top and shorts I see. I step into the shorts, head spinning. I'm just pulling the t shirt over my head when I hear the door click open behind me.

"Hey, Munchkin, I -"

I cross my arms over my chest and look over my shoulder to find Jack standing in my doorway.

"I'm getting dressed!" I say quickly. I feel my ears burn red.

Jack doesn't move, his expression turning dark and angry. Unbelievable. I quickly pull on my t shirt and stalk over to him.

"What the hell are you still doing here?" I snap. "Go and find some easy girl to perv on!"

"Did he hit you?" he inquires demandingly. His eyes, a dark grayish-green, search mine. The anger in his tone scares me a little bit.

"Who?"

He ignores me, reaching towards the hem of my shirt. I slap his hand away, disgusted.

"What are you doing?" I shriek. My own voice hurts my head.

He makes a frustrated sound. "You're hurt - Just lemme see it."

Still confused, I lift up my shirt just enough to expose a swelling bruise on my hip, about the size of a orange. How did I miss that?

Jack's jaw tightens and his hand curls into a tight fist. "I swear to god I'm going to kill that motherf-"

I let my shirt down and frown, remembering something. I set a hand on Jack's shoulder, afraid he's going to detonate.

"Wait," I say, "I remember getting this."

Jack looks up. "You remembered what happened last night?"

I shake my head. "It was an accident in gym class yesterday."

Jack sighs, but not all the tension disappears from his body. "So you still don't remember anything?"