2. Memories

A/N: I'll be switching from 3rd-person POV (Chapter 1) to Maris' POV.

---------------------------

"Doctor de Vera."

The palpable audacity stops me from taking any step closer. I try to prevent my eyebrows from rising in response to his condescending tone. Had he made any effort to hide his haughtiness, I would have maintained my idea of him just being a toxic patient; but no, he had to be so full of himself and actually found the need for me to address him with "doctor".

His kind I have no patience to deal with.

"Ay hindi po ako yung doctor ninyo Sir. Ako po si Nurse Racal, your nurse for tonight," I respond, not even attempting to hide the sarcasm in my voice.

I draw myself closer to the man sitting on his bed, face buried between the pages of today's newspaper. He closes the object of his attention and turns to look at me.

I quickly study his features. In fairness, Heaven was right. He is a bit good-looking. Perhaps an 8 out of 10. He looks to be in his early 30's, 33 if I might say--he definitely doesn't look over 35.

I hear a chuckle which pulls me back to focus on why I am now standing in front of him.

"Spunky," I hear him say with a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Spunky. I like that," he says this time with a little nod and side smile.

Dammit. Heaven IS right. Gwapo pala talaga.

“Check ko lang po yung IV fluid ninyo,” I inform before I proceed to go on my tiptoes in order to check the IV fluid hanging on the pole near his bed.

I can sense him looking at me, but I continue to do my job as quickly as possible just so I can get out of this room as soon as possible.
“What’s your name again?” he asks. I look at him but his eyes are back to reading the newspaper.

“Nurse Racal po,” I answer calmly. If Alexa was right, I wouldn’t want to agitate him and cause him to become as demanding as she said he was—not during my shift.

“I mean your first name, hija,” he corrects himself.

Hija talaga? Alam ko bata pa ako, baby-faced, pero hija talaga? Ilang taon na ba to?

“Maris po, sir,” this time, it takes effort for me to speak calmly. Is this guy purposely being annoying? Or ganyan lang talaga kataas ang tingin niya sa sarili niya?

He nods, still not bothering to look at me. I turn around, looking forward to leave his presence, but before I could get out the door, he opens his mouth one more time, “I’ll guess I’ll see you again at 2am then, Nurse Maris.”

---------------------------

“Ugh,” I grunt as I read my patient’s chart.

S/P ORIF*. Matagal-tagal pa to dito.

“Problema mo?” Sue asks as she returns to the nurses’ station.

“Wala,” I dismiss her inquiry and walk towards another patient’s room.

“Good evening po Mr. Valdez,” I greet as I as soon as I reach my patient, “Kumusta po kayo?”

The old man smiles weakly at me, “Hello hija, okay lang. Kumakapit pa naman.”

He gives out his usual gentle smile. Mr. Valdez has been in this room for the past 3 months that he had become a good friend to all the nurses in this ward, even those who are not assigned to him. How could we not love this adorable funny man who we all now treat as a beloved grandpa?