3. Backstory

A/N: Let's shift back to 3rd person POV hehe

-------------

An aroma of flavourful spices greets Maris as she walks up the steps to their apartment, indicating that her Kuya JM must be cooking lunch already.

"Mano po, kuya," she greets as she takes his hand to her forehead.

"O, ngayon ka lang?" her older brother asks.

"Ah, opo. Galing ako kay Albie," Maris tells him to which her older brother just nods in acknowledgement.

"Kumain ka na? Sabay ka nalang sa amin ng Ate Alyssa mo," JM says as he wipes his stained hands on his apron.

"Ahh, mauna nalang po kayo. Matutulog lang muna ako kuya kasi babalik ako sa bahay nila Albie mamayang 4pm," Maris declines her brother's invitation politely.

With a worried look in his face, JM reminds his little sister, "Maris, make sure you're getting enough sleep, please."

Maris gives out a tired smile to reassure her brother that all is well with her and there is nothing for him to worry about.

------------------

Maris stands still in front of the huge house and slowly lets herself in. She makes her way through the crowd when a middle-aged aged elegant lady takes her hand.

"O Maris, hija, I'm so glad you're here already," the lady sweetly addresses her.

"Hello po, Tita Dawn. Sorry medyo na late po ako," Maris shyly apologizes.

"Okay lang. Galing ka pa ba ng duty? Hon, Maris is here already. Start na tayo?" Dawn calls out to her husband who then smiles at both women.

Dawn leads Maris to their living room where several guests have already made themselves comfortable for the occasion.

Maris feels the tension as people she hasn't met before looks at the small fragile-looking girl the lady of the house is holding. She subconsciously fidgets with the necklace hanging around her neck which has a ring in place for a pendant.

"Albie," she thinks silently, calling out to the only person that could erase all anxiety she is feeling right now.

"Let us all rise as we begin the liturgical mass in memory of our beloved Albie Zulueta Casiño, as we remember his wonderful life today on his first death anniversary," the priest officiating the mass starts.

Maris could only stare at the large picture frame hanging in front of her, diaplaying the picture of a handsome young man.

Albie.

Her confidante and protector from when they were both young children running away from bullies.

Her security blanket and comforter during her teenage years when tragedy struck her family and her parents died.

The love of her life who had promised to marry her once she turns 25.

The only one she has promised her 'I do' had fate not so ruthlessly taken him away from her.

"I miss you so much, love. And it pains me everyday, knowing I should have died with you, only to be punished by having to live a life without you," Maris could only cry as she reminisces her bittersweet past.

---------------------

*** FLASHBACK ***

"Love, malapit na ang oras. Can we hurry up a bit please?" Maris cutely pleads to her boyfriend as they drive on their way to the mall.

"Love, I'm almost over the speed limit oh. Sinabi ko naman sayo na mag absent ka nalang," Albie argues.

"Bakit ba kasi ang tagal mong matapos makipagchika sa mga tao sa house blessing ninyo," Maris pouts in recollection.

They have just attended the blessing of Albie's parents' new rest house in Zambales and are now in a hurry for Maris to report to her duty in time.

"Makakaabot nga tayo, trust me okay?" Albie assures her as he cups his hand on Maris'chin.

"Love, 10 years na tayo next month," Albie starts, "we practically grew up together. Kilalang kilala ka na nina Mama and Papa."

Albie slows down the car's speed and stops on the side of a quiet road.

"I love you, and you love me," he continues as he reaches out to his pockets and pulls a black velvet box.

Maris feels her heart beating fast, ideas already coming to her head on how she would take the next few words coming out of her boyfriend's mouth.

"Will you marry me once you're 25?" Albie smiles in hopefulness as he opens the box to reveal a gold ring with a tiny solitaire diamond.

Maris could only smile through her tears as she whispers, "Of course, yes. Yes! Yes! Yes!"

Albie's eyes lights up at her response and excitedly puts the ring on her finger, then he gently plants a soft sweet kiss on Maris' lips

"I love you. I love you so much," Albie tells her as he rests his forehead on hers.

Maris closes her eyes to take every moment in only to open it again to the sight of an unconscious, bloodied Albie and the sounds of sirens wailing in the distance.

---------------------

Yes, super short update coz I'm too excited to write from another person's POV for chapter 4. Can you guess whose? (*wink* *wink*)