CHAPTER 2

Lucifer left Linda’s office, glad she was able to guide him towards what he needed to do to get back on Chloe’s good side, but also frustrated because she only gave him part of the solution. He didn’t get why she just couldn’t tell him what to do straight away - something about the journey being more important than the destination. But who knows, maybe one day he’ll get why. Now that the good doctor had pointed the right direction to him, all he needed to do was to find how to get there. He decided to get back to his penthouse to cover his different options. Besides, there was no point in talking to Chloe when she was like this anyway. Anything he would say or do would be misinterpreted and would only result in a wave of stronger, undeserved anger towards him.

The first thing he does as he enters his living-room is to shed his jacket on the nearby chair and reach for a glass. He pours himself a thumb of malt delight, more out of habit and because he liked the taste of it, before he settles down on his couch, legs spread in front of him, fingers crossed on his chest. He peruses his options but soon realises none of them would work on the Detective. They were either illegals or too open-minded for her taste. However, he needed to find a way to make her understand that no matter what - or rather who - happened, their situation wouldn’t be impacted, even if they went beyond their platonic “whatever-they-had” relationship.

Out of boredom, he decides to turn on the TV. As his latest sixty-five inches flat screen comes out of the wall, the opening credits from Judge Judy appear on the 4K screen. Lucifer smiles, almost imperceptibly. He’d never admit to anyone, but he liked this show. It was very distracting for him to see someone else punish people. And despite the reality show impression, this Judy was spot on when it came to punishment. The next case that came up was a young couple who decided to call upon Judge Judy, because the man cheated on his girlfriend with another woman, insisting that the extra relation he had was purely physical and had nothing to do with his feelings for his girlfriend. The girlfriend, in return, decided to fill his car with garbage. As soon as Lucifer saw the case recap, his attention was solely focused on his screen.

First, the woman explained how she felt betrayed that he had slept with someone else, and why she decided to flood his car with garbage as an answer to his action. And the audience looked like they were rooting for her. But then, the boyfriend explained why and how the night happened. He decides to get with that woman because his girlfriend left after a fight. He hadn’t planned it, but it still happened. He also said he didn’t get why she was mad at him. For him, it was only a night, and purely physical. To him, this night didn’t impact how he felt for her, or their current relationship. And after he slept with his one-night stand, he offered his girlfriend to even things out by sleeping with another guy. This way, they would both have gone out of their fidelity vows and would start anew.

As soon as Lucifer hears the man’s reasoning, the solution to get his relationship with Chloe to what it was before clicks and he turns off the TV, without waiting for Judy’s reply or punishment for these two.

“Thanks, Judy!” He says. “If you ever end up in Hell, I have just the right job for you.” He finishes, as he grabs his jacket and heads for his car.

LAPD PRECINCT - ABOUT HALF AN HOUR LATER

He gets to the precinct in no time and checks - more out of habit than anything - Chloe’s desk. When he doesn’t see her, he walks towards Dan.

“Ah! Detective Douc…, I mean Daniel, just the man I was looking for.”

“Whatever you’re offering Lucifer, I’m not interested. I don’t need it, nor do I want it.”