Prologue

Prologue

It was December 31st, she was passed her due date for 7 days already. The funny thing is that she did not want her baby to be born at Christmas or close to. She was so worried her waters would break during a toast or sharing gifts with the family. But as always, he comforted her and reminded her there would be no better time for their little angel to arrive: surrounded by people they love, him by her side, and nothing more but love and happiness in the moment. So, there they were, at Steve's house, it's around 7 pm. Everybody is there, all dressed up so well, they are taking place at the table, in the beautiful and lighting garden. Kamekona brought his mother's apple and cinnamon pie, the one they all loved so much from Thanksgiving. Kono was totally looking for her desert! She heard a shrill sound, it was Steve, hitting his knife on his glass. He was about to do a toast:

''I wanted to thank you all for coming again this year. We all had one of a year, getting through unbelievable stuff, as usual, fighting for the good ones, always. We lost people, but we also created one (smiling at Adam and Kono). But we did it all together, except for the creating a human part, it's all you guys (everybody laughs). We lived this year and will live the upcoming ones all together. Cheer to you, cheer to this Ohana.''

Everybody cheered and smiled.

''You could do better'', said Danny. Steve kissed his cheek. Danny hated it and cleaned his cheek right after. It was a very beautiful and cherished dinner for everybody.

Around 10 pm, Adam asked her how she was feeling:

''Are you tired babe? We can leave if you want, it's already late''.

''I'm fine'', she said with a grateful smile on her beautiful face, ''Just a bit tired but I really want to see the fireworks before we go''.

However, she did feel a bit heavy. She also had cramps, but she thought she just ate too much. She helped Steve and Abby with the cleaning, even though they refused help from her. She should seat, they thought. She laughed: she went back to the yard. They played that game when questions are asked and the partner who knows more the other wins. There were four teams: Steve and Danny, Adam and Kono, Chin and Abby, Lou and Quinn. Kamekona was asking the questions. After an hour, she went to pick a water bottle, in the frigerated. Before she opened the door, she had a long contraction. She knew what contractions were, she already has had the Braxton Hicks contractions a couple of weeks earlier. But this one, she knew the work has started. It lasted a minute, maybe less. She felt all good after.

Abby stepped in ''You're ok?'', she asked.

Kono smiled, leaned her head a little bit, and said ''I am fine. You should all stop worrying about me. I'm great''. She took her water and went back outside.

Her favorite time of this night came: the fireworks. They were all standing (even though they all preferred if she wouldn't stood), looking at the horizon.

Lou started the countdown: ''Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three..two..one..HAPPY NEW YEAR''.

They all hugged each other, kissed each other. Adam was standing behind Kono, she pressed her back a little, pressed her head on his left shoulder. He placed his arms around her cute baby bump and said ''Happy new year darling''.