4. Mac's Amazing Snack Cupboard

Everyone said Veronica McAdams was rich, but I didn't realise she was this rich.

Standing inside of her mansion on Friday afternoon, I observed my surroundings in awe. It would be a lie to say I felt just a little out of place. I felt totally out of place, standing in the most outrageously grand house, waiting for Veronica to make us some iced tea. To me, this was a whole new world. I felt as though I shouldn't be there, like I was intruding, seeing something I was never supposed to see.

Several minutes earlier, Veronica had given me the grand tour. I had counted eight bedrooms and five bathrooms. This gave me flashbacks to that very morning. I was trying to get ready for school, but Nancy was in the only bathroom in my dad's house throwing up for twenty minutes. I had been late for homeroom. When Veronica asked me why, I was too embarrassed to tell her I was waiting to use the singular bathroom. After seeing her house, I was even more thankful I hadn't told her.

"Voila," Veronica said, announcing her completion. Stepping aside, she revealed a large jug of peach iced tea. "Who wants?"

It was safe to say all of us wanted some. Friday was the hottest day so far, though it had seemed to me so far that every day had been hotter than the previous. Apparently, this was a heatwave; it was due to cool down next week, which was good news to me because it was almost unbearable. That afternoon, I had been sitting in English class. It had been so hot I had genuinely considered removing my shirt.

I hadn't, of course. But I was that close.

Veronica's iced tea was potentially the best iced tea I'd ever tasted. If I wasn't so hot, I would have enjoyed the flavour a lot more, but I drank it as a cooling method rather than a refreshment. I wasn't alone in that, either; all of us had a second glass before we were cool enough to even consider what we should do next.

"So, you survived your first week." Summer said this like it was a genuine achievement, and I supposed it was. "How was it?"

My first week at Lakeside High had been exhausting, to say the least. Nothing inherently bad had happened; in fact, as far as first weeks go, I would say it was quite a positive one. It was just tiring meeting so many new people, especially when I always had my guard up so I didn't let any secrets slip.

"It was good, thanks to you guys. Thank you for being so nice."

I sincerely meant that, too. These girls were confusing to say the least; one minute friendly and the next backstabbing, it was difficult to decide where one truly stood with them. Often, I was reminding myself not to relax too much. I didn't want to disclose anything that gave them reason to judge me. Other times, I found myself laughing easily with them, and I hadn't felt that way for a long time. They had welcomed me with open arms, and I was grateful for that.

Veronica peered at me over the brim of her glass, sipping and watching me. "You're one of us now. That's what friends do."

I tried to disguise my reaction, which was pretty easy considering the three of them quickly resorted to gossiping when the conversation ended. It had been months since I'd been able to call anyone my friend, let alone have someone else call me their friend. Not that it mattered, but it was even more surreal that it was Veronica.

Before today, I knew we were different. That much was obvious from the second I had to start lying to her because I was embarrassed of my real life. But now, being where I was, I realised we lived lives universes apart. Every day since starting Lakeside High, I'd questioned why they chose me. There were girls trying to become friends with them every day. Why did they just allow me into their tight-knit group so easy?

I'd never question them about this. After the past few months, so much as a friendly smile felt like a relief. The day I lost my best friend still haunted me.