Homeward Bound

HOME TO NANTUCKET

The crew aboard the Skeleton Lady on my instructions fumigated the holds and painted every surface they could reach. They did the same with the Sea Rogue, so our two vessels made a grand sight when we sailed into the harbor at Nantucket, one year and two months after our departure. People on the docks scattered quickly with news of our arrival.

When the two ships were tied safely up to the Nantucket main wharf, I left Freddie Langford in charge and headed up to the Seafarer's Inn. I wanted to get cleaned up before I went to see Betsy. As I made my way along the street, I heard the constant ringing of the central church bells. I stopped in the pub area of the inn to ask Sally, the barmaid, what the ringing was about.

"Did someone die, Sally?"

"Oh, no, sir," she said. "Although the situation is quite sad."

"Don't keep me waiting, girl. I've got a shilling for the news."

The barmaid laughed. "What's taking place is probably worse than death. Poor Betsy Mitchell is getting married today."

"What?"

"Yes, married to some old geezer from London. They say he forced her into the marriage by taking over the debt of the family business. It was the only way she could keep the business afloat until her father returned from his voyage."

I tossed the shilling to the girl, turned, and ran back to the Sea Rogue. I gave Freddie Langford instructions to arm six crewmen with harpoons and meet me at the church. Then I went below decks to arm myself with a secret weapon as well.

When I led my crew of harpooners crashing through the closed front doors of the church, Betsy was standing at the front of the church, her stricken face as white as the wedding dress she wore. Her expression turned quickly to joy when she realized it was me.

Standing beside her in a black, rumpled, extremely old formal outfit was the familiar and detestable figure of my uncle, Rolland Crabb. The old man gasped when he saw me.

"I thought you were dead, lost at sea, they told me."

I laughed. "An untrue story as you can plainly see. Now get the hell away from that young lady."

Crabb shook his head. "I'm not going anywhere until the debts owed to me by RICHARD MITCHELL & SON are paid in full either by marriage or by cash in hand. And you, you slacker. Get your behind on the next boat to London. I'll deal with you after my honeymoon."

I guess my uncle didn't realize he was dealing with a different individual than the one he sent from England to do his dirty work. A year at sea had toughened me considerably, both physically and mentally. I left London as a callow youth, but now I was a seasoned sea captain. And a wealthy one to boot.

I opened the bag I was carrying and showed the contents to my uncle. "This should more than cover any debts owed, you doddering old buzzard. If there is any marriage taking place today, it sure as hell won't be to you."

Uncle Rolland realized I had taken charge of the situation. He stared at Betsy, then looked at the fortune in ambergris that lay at his feet. As a trader, he knew how valuable the dried material was in Paris. He had to make a choice. He looked at my harpooners and me, another furtive glance at Betsy, and then again at the treasure. Finally, greed triumphed over lust. Rolland decided on the ambergris.

I ordered my harpooners to escort Rolland back to the inn. From there, he would be transferred to the waiting Royal Mail ship, which was due to sail on the morning tide back to London. I waited for a parting word, but he said nothing. Just clutched the ambergris and stared ahead.

Betsy ran and threw herself into my waiting embrace. For several moments we remained that way before I reluctantly broke loose and spoke to Reverend Malcolm Hornsby.

"Reverend, you might as well tell these folks to go home. I'm sorry, but there won't be a wedding here today."

I took Betsy into the registry office and told her about her father's accident. I held Betsy tight as she cried and told her of the vow I made to her father as he lay dying.

"I promised your father I would look out for you and the family business, Betsy. I'll do what I can to help you. Your future is important to me."

Over the next several months, I worked side by side with Betsy to put the family business back on a firmer foundation. I gradually liquidated the pirate's treasure, ensuring at each step that all the crew received a fair share.

Because her father had died before the capture of the treasure, he theoretically was not entitled to a share. After securing agreement from the crew, I made sure a substantial sum went to Betsy's bank in Boston.

With the business of RICHARD MITCHELL & SON running smoothly, I finally had to face up to my dilemma. My feelings for Betsy were intense and genuine, but I could never quite forget the beguiling memories of Constance Kingman back in London.

I faced a difficult choice. Stay in the Colonies, marry Betsy, and start a new life, or return to London and take up where I left off with Connie. It was a difficult choice. Betsy was sweet but naïve, where Constance was worldly and experienced. I felt I could be happy with either of the women in my life.

But each road led to a completely different life. I sat outside the inn all night, smoking cigar after cigar until I finally made the decision that would impact the rest of my life. I prayed it was the right one.