Nevertime

'NEVERTIME

BAR HARBOR, MAINE. August 13th, 2006

With only a few days remaining before the date of Andre's execution on August 15th, 1856, Tom worked feverishly on a solution to try and free 'Never from her time trap. She needed to be back in Eden, Maine, in person before that date to be able to stop the execution of Andre Picard.

Of all the things Tom had accomplished so far in life, he was most proud of his discovery and replication of TomTime, the mysterious syndrome that resulted in a microscopic slice of time disappearing each day during that instant, just before today becomes tomorrow, but is not yet yesterday.

Tom's theory was that the lightning strike had created a massive surge of TomTime trapping 'Never in a vacuum in time.

As he worked desperately at his computer searching for a solution, Tom was aware he was becoming quite attached to his nightly visitor. It bothered him to realize he had no idea of his future, if any, with this intriguing lady, simply because she was from another time and place.

Realistically, Tom knew because of the vagaries of time and space, 'Never might leave one night and never return. In a sad but romantic gesture, Tom decided to change his nickname for the disappearing time syndrome from TomTime to NeverTime.

Tom ran all the computers, full tilt, replicating as much NeverTime as he could. The new plan was simple in theory. He planned to purchase a high-powered portable generator and run an electrical connection from the generator to the copper top of The Empress clock.

At the stroke of midnight on August 14th, the combined power of the computers plus the generator would recreate the same massive surge of NeverTime experienced when she originally disappeared. It was a gamble, and there was certainly some degree of risk involved, but Tom felt it was the only chance of ever getting 'Never Landry back to Eden in time to halt the execution.

Finally, it was time. Tom was totally exhausted, physically, and mentally, from the relentless workload. He was almost sure that enough NeverTime was stored and ready to be released with a throw of the switch. The problem was if he threw the switch and the experiment was successful, he would never see 'Never again. She would be back in Eden in the year 1856.

He was still struggling with the dilemma when the first chimes of midnight struck and 'Never appeared. From the sad look on her face, Tom knew she had come to the same realization he had. The fleeting time they shared had been wonderful for them both but would end forever when the switch was thrown.

For a moment, Tom seriously considered not going through with the plan. It would be so easy to keep her near me, he thought. All I would have to do is tell her the plan can't work.

But if he backed down now, it would be selfish and unfair to 'Never and her family, not to mention the ill-fated Captain Picard.

On the other hand, Tom had a distinct feeling if he didn't proceed, 'Never would forgive him eventually, and they might be happy together, sharing moments in time whenever they could capture it.

Conflicted between right and wrong, Tom finally made his decision. 'Never could see from his eyes that it was time. She smiled and nodded, indicating she was ready to go. Tom's hand hesitated over the power switches for the combined computer/generator, then threw the switch, just as the last chime of midnight commenced. A giant arc of stored electrical power flowed through the wiring to the copper top of the Empress clock.

For a moment, nothing happened. Then a bright, warm glow filled the room, and 'Never Landry disappeared before his eyes, forever.

Tom waited in torment for the next few days to pass before going online to the historical website for Eden, Maine. Anxiously, he scrolled through page after page of old newspaper clippings. Finally, he found the one he was looking for.

THE EDEN DAILY REPORTER Final Edition AUGUST 16th, 1856

The planned execution of French national, Captain Henry Picard was abruptly canceled yesterday morning after Miss 'Never Landry was found, dazed and confused, but unharmed, wandering on the grounds of the Landry Estate.

Readers may recall that Captain Andre Picard was under a death sentence by hanging for the presumed murder of Miss Landry.

Although Miss Landry was not able to deliver a credible account of her missing time, she was able to convince Judge Lester Wigham that Captain Picard played no part in her disappearance.

Miss Landry was delighted to be reunited with her grandfather, Antoine Landry, and younger sister, Sara.

Captain Picard has returned to his ship LE GRIFFON and will be sailing on the morning tide for France.

Tom sat on his bed and shook his head in delight. Obviously, 'Never had returned home safely and Andre Picard was sailing for France.

Tom wondered how he could fill the void in his life now that the woman he loved was back in her rightful time and place. Then he smiled as he thought, I'm young, in good health with tons of money. I still have the Empress clock, and, finally, I know how to produce and store NeverTime. Maybe I'll take a trip.