Chapter 1

I woke up, as usual, to a drab room that had grey floral patterned curtains covering the windows allowing just enough sunlight through. And when I scanned the room tiredly, I saw that two out of the six beds that were in the room were vacant. Oh yeah, that's right. I had a few early risers as roommates.

I forced myself out of bed and headed towards the bathroom but then I heard water splashing and realized it was occupied. Upon registering this, I silently thanked the person inside for the extra minutes of sleep and went towards my bed but such joy was short lived.

"Get ready for breakfast!" said a female voice after a loud knock on the door. At that moment the bathroom door opened and out stepped my roommate. To prevent any other scuffle with my other roommates for the bathroom, since they were waking up because of the recent announcement, I quickly headed for the bathroom to freshen up for the day.

So much for my extra minutes of sleep.

After freshening up, I walked to the cafeteria for breakfast. The cafeteria is a big hall with medium-sized rectangular tables everywhere. I and other kids in the cafeteria lined up for our food. When it was my turn, I offered the cook my bowl. After she poured in something that looked like a lazy attempt at porridge, she gave me a smile that showed she had one too many transactions with the tooth fairy.

I carried my breakfast to a table and sat down but after a few spoonfuls, I had enough. After a while, I was joined by three other kids. One sat directly opposite me. He was a fair skinned boy that was a bit on the chubby side and he seemed to be enjoying his breakfast because the boy beside him, who was a dark skinned, thin boy, tried a conversation with him but was only getting slurping sounds as replies. I recognised the chubby boy as Tommy but I didn't know the other guy's name. I still don't know a lot of people here.

"Boy, you really are hungry. What's the deal?" said skinny boy.

"Nothing really. I just have an appetite," replied Tommy. "You gonna finish that?"

After a while, skinny boy said, "I don't think he heard you." I'd been staring at my bowl since but at that last comment I looked up at them and Tommy repeated his question to me. I just pushed my bowl towards him. Have fun.

"You didn't eat last night either, did you? You need to keep your strength up, you know." It was at that moment that I registered that there was someone seated beside me. I turned and saw a boy that was neither too fat nor thin. He had jet black hair and he was fair skinned. "At least try and eat lunch" he continued saying, "Skipping meals isn't always the best thing to do." Then he smiled at me. I turned away.

Oh yeah, let me at least give an idea of what I look like. I have reddish-brown hair...or more like chestnut, I have brown eyes and I don't know what to tell you about my face. I mean, it looks alright to me and some of the caretakers have called me cute but...I don't know. I'll leave my face to you.

As I looked to other direction, I heard skinny boy whisper, "Did you really think he was going to answer you?" I pretended I didn't hear. It was true by the way. I was notorious for not speaking to anybody. I don't know why but I never felt it so necessary. It didn't get me friends but it didn't get me enemies either---I think so---I was content. I could feel the kid with jet black hair staring at me.

After a while, Tommy and his skinny friend left the table. Before I could rise up from my seat, I heard a voice. "I was trying to help, you know. It really isn't good skipping meals often. I'm Nate, by the way." He stood up from his seat. "See you later."

I really don't know why he tried to talk to me or why he introduced himself to me but I'm guessing it's just a fling. He'd forget about me by tomorrow or that afternoon. I stood up, cleared my plate and started another day at Dickens Orphanage.