Chapter 26

"Huh?"

Richie just looked at me for a while longer before he said, "You know what? How about I help you out?"

"What?"

"I mean, I really sympathize with you. I'm not a monster. So how about I give you a chance to get some help?"

After spitting out some blood, Nate said, "Oh please. Like you know what sympathy is. What's the catch?"

Richie gave a little grin and said, "Sometimes the kids they bring around here are really great merchandise. Some sold for a higher price than others especially if they look good. But of course, it's an unspoken rule not to touch the merchandise before the customer comes. I was wondering if you could help me out with that."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Play with me for a while and I'll let you call for help for you and your friend. Very simple, right?"

"Play?"

"Wait a second," Nate said, "What do plan on doing with Jayden?"

"Relax. It's not like I'll kill him. In fact, I'm going to be gentle with him since it might be his first time..."

At this point, I was still confused but Nate seemed to understand immediately.

"No way! Not gonna happen! He's not doing it!" he protested.

"Nate, what's going on? What am I not doing?" I asked.

He looked at me and said, "Let's just say it's pretty indecent."

Richie laughed and said, "How do you know about adult stuff, little boy?"

"None of your business. Besides, I thought you weren't supposed to touch the merchandise."

"Yeah, but if I let you call for help and you get outta here, that would be the least of my worries. The cops would be on our tails."

"But you'll get in trouble with your boss."

"Don't worry, I've got an idea on how to handle it. So, do we have a deal?"

It was at this time that I finally got what he was talking about.

"Oh," I suddenly realized, "You're a paedophile, aren't you?" I asked with complete innocence.

"What?" Nate asked.

"They're called paedophiles; these types of guys. I remember hearing about it before when I was still with my parents. Looks like it's still going on." I looked at Richie. "That's probably who you're going to sell us to, right?"

"...But I wouldn't want you to go in inexperienced." Richie replied.

Nate said, "I had an idea that we might be sold to people like that, but I seriously hoped not. God! There really are some sickos out there!"

I suddenly remembered something. "Hey, uh...can I ask something?"

"What?" Richie replied.

"What is thing about a...drug? I heard about it recently. You guys are using it on the kids you took, right?" I turned to face Nate. "Remember when I told you about Derek being in trouble and the conversation I heard outside my room?"

"Oh, yeah," said Nate.

"So, you did hear everything," said Richie, "They were right to suspect you, after all. I'll tell you everything, but you have to agree to my proposal first."

Nate said, "Then you can keep your explanation to your-"

"Alright," I interrupted him.

Nate looked at me. "What?"

"We don't have any other choice, right? We have to get out of here and this is the only chance we have," I explained.

"No, it's not! We'll figure out something!"

"So, you have an idea?"

Nate kept quiet.

I sighed. "Look, you don't need to worry about me. I'll just bear with it till I get help."

"Do you actually think he'll keep his word?!"

"Ouch!" Richie exclaimed, pretending to be in pain. "I'm pretty hurt by those words. Of course, I'll keep my word." He raised his right hand. "Scouts' honour."