1

i've know a boy who wakes up at four am during summers so he can see the stars shine through the city horizon.

a boy who was bought up in the country side, who was told stories instead of lullabies because his grandma loved to see his eyes sparkle in the bonfire.

one of those summers when i decided to join him, he asked me,
"do you think that if people didn't look up as often, the stars would fade?"

i looked at him with questioning eyes.

"like, when we don't pay attention to someone and they just slip away from our lives. even though that wasn't the intention. they fade."

and i took my time to stare at him, his skin glowing softly as he trapped a few stars in his eyes.

"we're made of star dust." i couldn't help but say.

"huh?" his eyes tore away from the dark sky and looked at me. a black hole in itself. I thought.

"we're made of star dust. the big bang and the works. you. you are literally part of a star, hun. we're part sea, part earth, and entirely star matter. i don't think anyone can resist trying to converse with someone who was born out of the same things as they are."

his eyes glimmered again. his smile slowly melted back into his face as he faced his family once more.

i had always thought he was beautiful.

but that night, that summer night, i learnt that he could trap stars in his eyes.
i saw a lone star on my terrace, miles away from home but shining just as bright.