Chapter 7: The Ride

"Come on, Please?" Melody whined from her spot tucked into Jim's side. They were laying on the roof of the inn watching the shooting stars streak across the sky.

"No, Mel," Jim said firmly, his arm wrapped around her.

Melody sat up quickly in a huff. Jim propped himself up.

"Aww, come on, I've been here for six months already and not once have you taken me on your solar surfer." She fussed.

"It's not safe." He said before laying back down.

"Boo. You're no fun, you know that." She wrinkled her nose.

"Pfft, if you knew me when I was 15, you wouldn't be saying that," He insisted.

"Oh, you mean back when you were fun." She countered, laying back down beside him

"Yeah. Fun. And reckless. I almost got sent to Juvenile detention." He revealed.

"Okay, well, this time, just don't get caught." She spoke simply.

"Easier said than done, Mel. It's just not worth the risk. And sometimes you have to make the responsible decision."

"If you play it safe all the time, nothing exciting will ever happen to you." She responded suddenly serious. Melody's eyes trailed a shooting star blazing across the horizon.

"I thought you were an adventurer Jim. Don't you ever get that urge to go out and do something amazing?" She questioned, turning on her side to look at him.

Jim turned towards her too. His eyes searched her face.

He did have that urge. He had just been told countless times not to give in to it anymore. To not be reckless.

Well, he was still Jim Hawkins, and he was still an adventurer.

Jim sighed loudly.

"You should be a politician, you know that? Fine. Tomorrow night okay." He dropped onto his back.

"Yay!" Melody gushed as she wrapped her arms around his middle.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Just listen to me when we're out there, okay?" He told her as he placed his hand on her back.

"I will. Thank you." She spoke softly. She laid her head on his shoulder.

Even with all her excitement for tomorrow night, she didn't want this moment to end. She could spend an eternity laying under the stars with Jim. She wished he wanted eternity with her too...

------------------------

They had outlined a plan. Jim had left his surfer charging all day in the sun, so by the time they left, it would be full of juice. All-day, the next day Melody and Jim exchanged glances. Sarah thought nothing of it. After all, those two had constantly been sending eyes at each other for the past half a year. Sarah shrugged as morph floated around beside her, taking the shape of a snack. It looked like it was time to feed the little guy.

When midnight came, and the inn was quiet, Jim and Melody snuck out of their respective rooms and met on the roof again.

"Jeez, I can't believe I'm doing this." He muttered hands in the pockets of his brown leather jacket.

"I can," Melody stated as she tied her hair into a ponytail. She had taken Jim's advice and worn a pair of pants; it wouldn't do to get her skirt caught on part of the surfer.

Jim lead the way down the side of the building to the surfer hovering below. He jumped on first, then turned and offered Melody his hand.

She took it without hesitation.